Tax issue for IRS Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:18 pm

So not to put the horse before the cart but I applied for an IRS Honors Tax Position and received an interview.

I know that there will be a tax check if I am offered a position. I realized today that I should I have file a return 2 years ago. That year I worked as a temporary independent contractor and I didn't make much money so I thought I wouldn't have to file(shows you how much I know much about taxes) I looked up how much I had to make before I had to file and I made more than that. Would I still be in consideration for employment if I filed that year's taxes now?

User avatar
Leprechaun

Bronze
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Leprechaun » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So not to put the horse before the cart but I applied for an IRS Honors Tax Position and received an interview.

I know that there will be a tax check if I am offered a position. I realized today that I should I have file a return 2 years ago. That year I worked as a temporary independent contractor and I didn't make much money so I thought I wouldn't have to file(shows you how much I know much about taxes) I looked up how much I had to make before I had to file and I made more than that. Would I still be in consideration for employment if I filed that year's taxes now?


You need to go ahead and take care of your filing obligations and let the chips fall where they may. I believe they check the 3 most recent tax years once they make your conditional offer plus once you are employed you are subject to ongoing tax return scrutiny.

If it disqualifies you, so be it, but at least you could find out before everything else was in order and then get cut day one after bypassing other opportunities along the way.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 am

Leprechaun wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So not to put the horse before the cart but I applied for an IRS Honors Tax Position and received an interview.

I know that there will be a tax check if I am offered a position. I realized today that I should I have file a return 2 years ago. That year I worked as a temporary independent contractor and I didn't make much money so I thought I wouldn't have to file(shows you how much I know much about taxes) I looked up how much I had to make before I had to file and I made more than that. Would I still be in consideration for employment if I filed that year's taxes now?


You need to go ahead and take care of your filing obligations and let the chips fall where they may. I believe they check the 3 most recent tax years once they make your conditional offer plus once you are employed you are subject to ongoing tax return scrutiny.

If it disqualifies you, so be it, but at least you could find out before everything else was in order and then get cut day one after bypassing other opportunities along the way.


Thank you for the reply. I'm in the midst of preparing the return

I also did some research on the relevant tax regulations

I found this about the tax check

"If the tax check is unfavorable, the servicing HCO, ETS, EO must notify the applicant in writing, if possible, or by telephone; the telephone notification must be followed by a written notice. The applicant’s case file must document the notification, including the date and name of the person that made the contact.
The notice to the applicant must indicate they have ten (10) work days to correct the tax-related issue(s) identified. This timeframe must be consistent for all external applicants for that vacancy. A vacancy must be held for the applicant in question until the allotted time expires."

Does this mean that if they find that I didn't file for a certain year they'll continue to consider me if I pay my taxes+penalties within 10 days?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I had the exact same issue come up in my AUSA background check. I had an accountant file my return for the year I didn't file and paid all back taxes plus interest and penalties. It was a bitch--I only made about $10k the year that I didn't file, and I owed almost $5k when all was said and done. But it didn't disqualify me from my job.

Also note, I did all of this before I submitted my background check info. So if you do get an offer, you may want to sort this out right away so that you can honestly say on your form that you've already corrected everything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I had the exact same issue come up in my AUSA background check. I had an accountant file my return for the year I didn't file and paid all back taxes plus interest and penalties. It was a bitch--I only made about $10k the year that I didn't file, and I owed almost $5k when all was said and done. But it didn't disqualify me from my job.

Also note, I did all of this before I submitted my background check info. So if you do get an offer, you may want to sort this out right away so that you can honestly say on your form that you've already corrected everything.


OP here

Was your AUSA position contingent on a satisfactory tax check?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Which division did you interview for?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tax issue for IRS Position

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I had the exact same issue come up in my AUSA background check. I had an accountant file my return for the year I didn't file and paid all back taxes plus interest and penalties. It was a bitch--I only made about $10k the year that I didn't file, and I owed almost $5k when all was said and done. But it didn't disqualify me from my job.

Also note, I did all of this before I submitted my background check info. So if you do get an offer, you may want to sort this out right away so that you can honestly say on your form that you've already corrected everything.


OP here

Was your AUSA position contingent on a satisfactory tax check?


I had to file a tax waiver and they did perform a tax check. The language of my offer just stated that it was contingent on a background investigation, one component of which was an investigation of tax compliance. Sorry for splitting hairs, but I want to make sure I'm giving you clear information, haha.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.