How much notice is enough?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bblawyah

New

How much notice is enough?

Postby bblawyah » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Brand new lawyer here. Been working at *unpaid* fellowship for 7 weeks, where I made a "3-12 month" commitment (but didn't sign anything). Now sworn in and have flexible full time offer from small firm. I worked for the firm before during law school, and they will let me work part time until I am ready to come on full time.

My question is, do I need to stick with the fellowship for 3 months? If not, is 2 weeks notice enough? Again fellowship = unpaid, so I don't feel that bad about it. Just looking for professionalism advice. Thanks!

lolwat

Silver

Re: How much notice is enough?

Postby lolwat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm not sure this needs to be quite as formal as giving notice in biglaw. You might get better results by just letting them know you have a full-time paying offer, and see where it goes from there. IME, with unpaid jobs or whatever, typically when someone gets a full-time paying offer, everyone is happy to let them go off and start earning money. Also, people generally don't want to force someone to stick around who clearly doesn't want to be there anymore.

You did make a 3-12 month commitment, so if they ask you to stay for 3 months, I'd probably do it to avoid burning bridges. You've already been there for 7 weeks, 3 months is what, just another 5 weeks? If they ask you to stay longer, you could remind them that you committed to 3-12 months and would be happy to finish those 3 months but that's it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:22 pm

lolwat wrote:I'm not sure this needs to be quite as formal as giving notice in biglaw. You might get better results by just letting them know you have a full-time paying offer, and see where it goes from there.

I agree that this is the way to start the process. It's possible that they'll respond by saying something like "well, you promised us at least three months"--in which case you can turn to the other advice offered by lolwat. But it's also possible that they'll just say "congrats," wish you well, and then work something out where you roll off your projects within the next week or so.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:49 pm

You're not getting paid; I wouldn't even feel bad about not showing up the next day. Congrats on getting a full time job!

Return to “Legal Employment�