Lateral offer stolen

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral offer stolen

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:11 pm

reposted below.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Lateral offer stolen

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:23 pm

With such a provocative thread title, I think you have an ethical obligation to provide us with content. Mods?

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:27 pm

There's a story to be told here, so tell it.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Postby NoLongerALurker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:27 pm

No doubt. I feel blueballed.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 pm

rpupkin wrote:With such a provocative thread title, I think you have an ethical obligation to provide us with content. Mods?

Trust me I'm in the same boat.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:09 pm

I read the original post, wasn't that interesting.

Something along the lines of-- associate got job from lateral firm and gave his 2 weeks to current firm. Partner from current firm called to give a 'recommendation' to departing associate (not sure why he did this?). After this recommendation, lateral firm told said associate that the lateral firm just lost a major client and has to rescind associate's offer.

Also the partner that called to give 'recommendation' now has an offer from this lateral firm. And now OP has 1 week before becoming jobless bc of 2 week notice.

I read it hastily, so details are fuzzy. sry.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm

estefanchanning wrote:I read the original post, wasn't that interesting.

Based on your description, it sounds quite interesting. Seriously.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Something along the lines of-- associate got job from lateral firm and gave his 2 weeks to current firm. Partner from current firm called to give a 'recommendation' to departing associate (not sure why he did this?). After this recommendation, lateral firm told said associate that the lateral firm just lost a major client and has to rescind associate's offer.

Also the partner that called to give 'recommendation' now has an offer from this lateral firm. And now OP has 1 week before becoming jobless bc of 2 week notice.

If true that sucks

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm

rpupkin wrote:

Based on your description, it sounds quite interesting. Seriously.

I agree.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:31 pm

This sounds shady as hell. Out the FIRMS.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am

Mysterious af.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:50 pm

OP Here - I have been going back and forth about whether to put my post back up because the situation is very unique but I figured I might as well because my bridge with the partner has been burned. I've had a very unfortunate situation happen to me at work and am unsure how to proceed, and wanted to reach out to TLS to see if anyone has ever had anything similar happen or if you could offer any much needed advice.

I'm a mid level associate at a very small firm in the Mid West. I went to a TTT (below median) but, due to my unique language skills & ethnicity was able to secure a position at my current firm. I worked pretty much general practice, doing a wide range of corporate / compliance / and a lot of government work. It was a good experience but my salary has been very low but due to my grades/position I haven't been able to find a lateral position until now. The thing is I am part of an ethnic group and speak a language of people that prefer to work with other members of this ethnic group.

A few months ago I reached out to a partner of a regional biglaw firm (also same ethnicity/language) and asked if they have any needs, and talked about my experience. Randomly, about a month ago, I was invited to interview with that partner and a few associates, who said they were swamped and needed someone to step in asap to help work with clients of this group. I received an offer a few days later which is essentially triple of my salary at the boutique firm. I was estatic because this was seriously life-changing, and I could never expect that, with my credential & experience, I could land a job like this. I accepted the offer and set a start date a little over a month out, so that I could transition current work to other people at my firm. I immediately told my mentor/partner, and she seemed very dissapointed that I would be leaving, but she understood (I thought).

Earlier this week I received a phone call from the biglaw firm saying that they have unexpectantly lost a major client and need to rescind my offer. As you can understand I am devastated and I spent the past two days crying about losing the opportunity. Yesterday the partner at my current firm came in and told me that she reached out to the biglaw firm after I told her about my offer to "provide a recommendation" and that they asked her to join the firm. She said she was shocked to learn that my offer had been rescinded. It seems that was basically happened is that they sensed interest from my partner (who has my same language skills & ethnicity) and decided to make an offer to her, knowing that she would be able to bring some clients. I am pretty sure that she would be making significantly more at this firm than she does now. She basically STOLE the position from me. I don't know what to do at this point because I essentially burned bridges with everyone else at my firm and my quit day is next week. I am completely devastated at losing the offer, at the partner going behind my back and stealing the offer, and at loss what to do now - I am unqualified, unemployed, and with no prospects. Does anyone have advice as to what to do now? Can I reach out to my BAR?

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here - I have been going back and forth about whether to put my post back up because the situation is very unique but I figured I might as well because my bridge with the partner has been burned. I've had a very unfortunate situation happen to me at work and am unsure how to proceed, and wanted to reach out to TLS to see if anyone has ever had anything similar happen or if you could offer any much needed advice.

I'm a mid level associate at a very small firm in the Mid West. I went to a TTT (below median) but, due to my unique language skills & ethnicity was able to secure a position at my current firm. I worked pretty much general practice, doing a wide range of corporate / compliance / and a lot of government work. It was a good experience but my salary has been very low but due to my grades/position I haven't been able to find a lateral position until now. The thing is I am part of an ethnic group and speak a language of people that prefer to work with other members of this ethnic group.

A few months ago I reached out to a partner of a regional biglaw firm (also same ethnicity/language) and asked if they have any needs, and talked about my experience. Randomly, about a month ago, I was invited to interview with that partner and a few associates, who said they were swamped and needed someone to step in asap to help work with clients of this group. I received an offer a few days later which is essentially triple of my salary at the boutique firm. I was estatic because this was seriously life-changing, and I could never expect that, with my credential & experience, I could land a job like this. I accepted the offer and set a start date a little over a month out, so that I could transition current work to other people at my firm. I immediately told my mentor/partner, and she seemed very dissapointed that I would be leaving, but she understood (I thought).

Earlier this week I received a phone call from the biglaw firm saying that they have unexpectantly lost a major client and need to rescind my offer. As you can understand I am devastated and I spent the past two days crying about losing the opportunity. Yesterday the partner at my current firm came in and told me that she reached out to the biglaw firm after I told her about my offer to "provide a recommendation" and that they asked her to join the firm. She said she was shocked to learn that my offer had been rescinded. It seems that was basically happened is that they sensed interest from my partner (who has my same language skills & ethnicity) and decided to make an offer to her, knowing that she would be able to bring some clients. I am pretty sure that she would be making significantly more at this firm than she does now. She basically STOLE the position from me. I don't know what to do at this point because I essentially burned bridges with everyone else at my firm and my quit day is next week. I am completely devastated at losing the offer, at the partner going behind my back and stealing the offer, and at loss what to do now - I am unqualified, unemployed, and with no prospects. Does anyone have advice as to what to do now? Can I reach out to my BAR?

I would ask for your job back and if they say no, I would file a claim of discrimination against your present and the firm that burned you. Additionally, I would threaten that you will file a claim for tortious interference by your current firm.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Postby NoLongerALurker » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:06 pm

Wow.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

I agree with wow
I don't think I agree with jumping to file lawsuits (but I will edit this to reflect that consulting someone wouldn't hurt).
Last edited by lolwat on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telecaster

New

Postby Telecaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Thei. Tok. Hish. jerb!

adil91

Silver

Postby adil91 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:30 pm

You may want to see an employment lawyer. You could possibly have a tortious interference claim

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:33 pm

adil91 wrote:You may want to see an employment lawyer. You could possibly have a tortious interference claim

Yes. There is a claim here.

Telecaster

New

Postby Telecaster » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:41 pm

adil91 wrote:You may want to see an employment lawyer. You could possibly have a tortious interference claim

This.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Sorry OP, that really sucks. I hope things turn out well for you.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Also OP, have you tried speaking to your current firm's managing partner and explaining the situation? You were just making choices that were in your best interest...it's very understandable. Maybe they'll give you your job back?

omar1

Bronze

Postby omar1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 pm

Should've left s#it law and jumped the day after they made you an offer.

spud3000

New

Postby spud3000 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:32 pm

So clearly the partner who "stole" your offer doesn't have a book to bring with her sufficient to support you? Also, who is to say that the prospective firm didn't bring up the idea of your mentor joining them? I wouldn't take this on pure contingency... Ask for your job back. Maybe they will understand.

alphagamma

Bronze

Postby alphagamma » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 pm

Have you asked your mentor to tell the other firm that she'd like to bring you along?

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm sorry, that's really terrible.

This isn't material to the story, but do you think the biglaw firm is lying about losing the client?

Return to “Legal Employment�