Acceptable office decorations for a first year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
beepboopbeep

Silver
Posts: 1385
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:28 am

pics or didn't happen

PorscheFanatic

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby PorscheFanatic » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Aergia wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.


No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.


This. I don't judge you at all for having an expensive watch. IMO, your net worth has not changed (much) from before you bought the nice watch and after. AND you get to show off your watch.


I think if you're judging ppl based on preserving/maximizing net worth, most luxury watch purchases are absurdly stupid and the only reason you think otherwise is because it's a socially acceptable stupid purchase. IMO, barring any serious financial negligence, no one should judge the idiosyncratic expensive shit ppl derive pleasure from unless they're committed to judging it all.

Personally I wouldn't judge OP for spending 1k on that item, but others will (as this thread demonstrates), so if you are concerned about what others think, maybe you should avoid it.


This is actually the point I was trying to make (OP here).

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:59 pm

I don't know I think that one can recognize that while yes, taste is subjective, some things are objectively dumb.

PorscheFanatic

Bronze
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:59 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:I don't know I think that one can recognize that while yes, taste is subjective, some things are objectively dumb.


New scenario. Imagine there's this guy who's pretty nerdy (in the way movies and TV portrays "nerds"). He's socially awkward, never enjoyed sports because he wasn't any good, and was more of the quiet type and enjoyed reading and other intellectual pursuits. Also, he's the nicest guy you've ever met, would literally give you the shirt off his back, but is just a little socially awkward. He's a very "likeable" nerd (I'm sure you can think of a movie that portrays a character this way).

Now let's imagine this guy gets a full ride to a top law school. He's brilliant, graduates top of his class, with no debt because of the scholly. Everything he does is safe: drives a nice Honda or something else not flashy, wears OTR suits from JAB that average $100 each, and no jewelry, watch or anything else flashy about his life. Lives in a mediocre apartment in a mediocre part of town, invests substantial amounts of money each month toward retirement.

Then he goes out and does one "crazy" thing and buys a $1000 basketball hoop for his office because he always envied the jocks growing up, even though he never actually wanted to be like them. Hangs it up because he thinks it's really cool (taste is subjective, remember?).

Are we still going to judge this guy who literally only makes safe choices aside from this one instance, as aggressively as people on TLS judge this hoop? Lol. The dude has $180k literally burning a hole in his pocket.

User avatar
njdevils2626

Bronze
Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby njdevils2626 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:I don't know I think that one can recognize that while yes, taste is subjective, some things are objectively dumb.


New scenario. Imagine there's this guy who's pretty nerdy (in the way movies and TV portrays "nerds"). He's socially awkward, never enjoyed sports because he wasn't any good, and was more of the quiet type and enjoyed reading and other intellectual pursuits. Also, he's the nicest guy you've ever met, would literally give you the shirt off his back, but is just a little socially awkward. He's a very "likeable" nerd (I'm sure you can think of a movie that portrays a character this way).

Now let's imagine this guy gets a full ride to a top law school. He's brilliant, graduates top of his class, with no debt because of the scholly. Everything he does is safe: drives a nice Honda or something else not flashy, wears OTR suits from JAB that average $100 each, and no jewelry, watch or anything else flashy about his life. Lives in a mediocre apartment in a mediocre part of town, invests substantial amounts of money each month toward retirement.

Then he goes out and does one "crazy" thing and buys a $1000 basketball hoop for his office because he always envied the jocks growing up, even though he never actually wanted to be like them. Hangs it up because he thinks it's really cool (taste is subjective, remember?).

Are we still going to judge this guy who literally only makes safe choices aside from this one instance, as aggressively as people on TLS judge this hoop? Lol. The dude has $180k literally burning a hole in his pocket.


Yes. Buy better suits, FFS

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes. It’s still a dumb thing to have in your office because while there are probably people who like it, it is an objectively dumb item. It would just be an affectionate judgment.

(In practice it might fly entirely under the radar because it might not occur to anyone that someone would pay $995 for such a thing. And having an actual basketball hoop would be fine, it’s just that a limited edition minimalist white hoop is bizarre.)

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby Jchance » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:New scenario. Imagine there's this guy who's pretty nerdy (in the way movies and TV portrays "nerds"). He's socially awkward, never enjoyed sports because he wasn't any good, and was more of the quiet type and enjoyed reading and other intellectual pursuits. Also, he's the nicest guy you've ever met, would literally give you the shirt off his back, but is just a little socially awkward. He's a very "likeable" nerd (I'm sure you can think of a movie that portrays a character this way).

Now let's imagine this guy gets a full ride to a top law school. He's brilliant, graduates top of his class, with no debt because of the scholly. Everything he does is safe: drives a nice Honda or something else not flashy, wears OTR suits from JAB that average $100 each, and no jewelry, watch or anything else flashy about his life. Lives in a mediocre apartment in a mediocre part of town, invests substantial amounts of money each month toward retirement.

Then he goes out and does one "crazy" thing and buys a $1000 basketball hoop for his office because he always envied the jocks growing up, even though he never actually wanted to be like them. Hangs it up because he thinks it's really cool (taste is subjective, remember?).

Are we still going to judge this guy who literally only makes safe choices aside from this one instance, as aggressively as people on TLS judge this hoop? Lol. The dude has $180k literally burning a hole in his pocket.


Yes, his judgment has become questionable for (1) buying and (2) hanging up that hoop.

Agreed re buying better suits.

mecarey

New
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby mecarey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Extravagant purchases that people will talk about: five-figure watches, six-figure cars, seven-figure homes and boats.

Purchases that people will, at most, say "huh" about: a relatively expensive white basketball hoop.

This thread makes it seem like 50% of the legal workforce would ostracize someone for buying an expensive basketball hoop for their office. That's absurd. Sure, a good number of people would think "I would NEVER, in a hundred years, spend that much on a basketball hoop for my office." But to extend that into thinking someone's judgment was outright questionable is a bit much.

That being said, I would give someone some shit about it, but it would be in a fun, friendly way. Not the overly toxic TLS "this is a trashy display of new money and your judgment is questionable and I will judge you from here on out" kind of way.

Danger Zone

Platinum
Posts: 8260
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:02 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:I don't know I think that one can recognize that while yes, taste is subjective, some things are objectively dumb.


New scenario. Imagine there's this guy who's pretty nerdy (in the way movies and TV portrays "nerds"). He's socially awkward, never enjoyed sports because he wasn't any good, and was more of the quiet type and enjoyed reading and other intellectual pursuits. Also, he's the nicest guy you've ever met, would literally give you the shirt off his back, but is just a little socially awkward. He's a very "likeable" nerd (I'm sure you can think of a movie that portrays a character this way).

Now let's imagine this guy gets a full ride to a top law school. He's brilliant, graduates top of his class, with no debt because of the scholly. Everything he does is safe: drives a nice Honda or something else not flashy, wears OTR suits from JAB that average $100 each, and no jewelry, watch or anything else flashy about his life. Lives in a mediocre apartment in a mediocre part of town, invests substantial amounts of money each month toward retirement.

Then he goes out and does one "crazy" thing and buys a $1000 basketball hoop for his office because he always envied the jocks growing up, even though he never actually wanted to be like them. Hangs it up because he thinks it's really cool (taste is subjective, remember?).

Are we still going to judge this guy who literally only makes safe choices aside from this one instance, as aggressively as people on TLS judge this hoop? Lol. The dude has $180k literally burning a hole in his pocket.

Wow do people actually describe themselves this way

Weirdo
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby Jchance » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:04 pm

mecarey wrote:This thread makes it seem like 50% of the legal workforce would ostracize someone for buying an expensive basketball hoop for their office. That's absurd. Sure, a good number of people would think "I would NEVER, in a hundred years, spend that much on a basketball hoop for my office." But to extend that into thinking someone's judgment was outright questionable is a bit much.

That being said, I would give someone some shit about it, but it would be in a fun, friendly way. Not the overly toxic TLS "this is a trashy display of new money and your judgment is questionable and I will judge you from here on out" kind of way.


The differing opinions of the people in this thread alone indicate a good sample size of how one's office would perceive such display of new money. Again, about half finds it tolerable and the other half would find it distasteful.
/thread

toast and bananas

Bronze
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby toast and bananas » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:50 pm

egregious JAB trolling ITT

didntretake

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby didntretake » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:31 pm

I really want some partner to come in here and drop a pic of TWO of those ridiculous hoops set up on opposite ends of an office with a story about making some juniors play full court one on one.

User avatar
PeanutsNJam

Gold
Posts: 4559
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 pm

If we’re being realistic, nobody’s going to look at that hoop and know it costs $1000, and nobody is going to care to look that up. Therefore, nobody would judge OP.

Also, if I walked into someone’s office and saw something expensive, I’d assume it has sentimental value. It wouldn’t occur to me that a co-worker (a junior at that) would be flexing his cash for the rest of his law firm to see. If a hanging a $1000 hoop in your office brings you joy, who am I to judge. People pay more than 100x that for fugly paintings.

If you’re hanging a $1000 hoop to “show off,” I’ll judge, not because of the cost, but because you’re weird enough to think that a $1000 hoop is impressive.

sparkytrainer

Silver
Posts: 774
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby sparkytrainer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 pm

didntretake wrote:I really want some partner to come in here and drop a pic of TWO of those ridiculous hoops set up on opposite ends of an office with a story about making some juniors play full court one on one.


10/10 would pay to watch

User avatar
pancakes3

Platinum
Posts: 6623
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:49 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Image

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby gaddockteeg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Aergia wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.


No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.


This. I don't judge you at all for having an expensive watch. IMO, your net worth has not changed (much) from before you bought the nice watch and after. AND you get to show off your watch.


I think if you're judging ppl based on preserving/maximizing net worth, most luxury watch purchases are absurdly stupid and the only reason you think otherwise is because it's a socially acceptable stupid purchase. IMO, barring any serious financial negligence, no one should judge the idiosyncratic expensive shit ppl derive pleasure from unless they're committed to judging it all.

Personally I wouldn't judge OP for spending 1k on that item, but others will (as this thread demonstrates), so if you are concerned about what others think, maybe you should avoid it.


No where did I say I was judging anybody for anything. I said was NOT judging someone for having an expensive because I dont see it as a waste money. I have no idea where you interpreted that to mean the inverse of that was true.

EIWIsMyFetish

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:29 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby EIWIsMyFetish » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm

these kinds of items - the 'funny/cool thing to have in the office to burn time but youll never actually use it because you actually don't have time to kill and even if you did you'd opt to do something more productive' items..

the shittier they are, the cooler they are.

Get one from Target if you want one

Not that anyone will even know what the white one costs, it's just way more chill to have one you can throw away, and also one that won't leave you upset when the partner comes in to mess with you and dunks on your basket a bit too hard.

DeMihiNonCuratLex

New
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby DeMihiNonCuratLex » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 am

Judged for liking the Enterprise-E like some sort of casual.

User avatar
swtlilsoni

Bronze
Posts: 416
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby swtlilsoni » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.


No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.


Because they're assuming it was a gift? But not everyone who wears an expensive watch obtained it that way. There are plenty of people who blow money on an expensive watch for fun. Do they deserve the same judgment as someone who blows it on a basketball hoop? If not, the gift/inheritance thing is irrelevant.

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby Lincoln » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:26 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.


No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.


Because they're assuming it was a gift? But not everyone who wears an expensive watch obtained it that way. There are plenty of people who blow money on an expensive watch for fun. Do they deserve the same judgment as someone who blows it on a basketball hoop? If not, the gift/inheritance thing is irrelevant.


They still don't, for all of the reasons stated above. I see it as kind of a sliding scale, with posting pics on Instagram of yourself setting fire to cash being at one extreme, and that basketball hoop about three steps away, while buying a nice watch is closer to buying a bespoke suit or a nice car. Those things are indulgent in that there are certainly cheaper options that would serve exactly the same function, but they're not worthy of inclusion in a buzzfeed article about how awful lawyers are.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.