Acceptable office decorations for a first year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolwat

Silver

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Post by lolwat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:01 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:Things that are fine to have in your office:

--Your diplomas
--Photos of family and friends
--Art
--Potted plants
--Sports memorabilia
--Random sentimental knicknacks
--A coat closet/coat rack
--A mini fridge
--A $20 door basketball hoop

Things that are not fine to have in your office:
--A $1000 door basketball hoop
This. :) I have some plants (supplied by firm), art (mine), pictures (mine), "random sentimental knicknacks," and diplomas and stuff. No $1000 basketball hoop.

As far as timepieces, I think people look ridiculous when they wear giant expensive watches, but otherwise nothing wrong with a Patek or JLC or whatever. I also would not recommend anyone buy Ferragamo shoes (at least at full price) because you're basically paying $600+ for a pair of $120-quality shoes and a name brand. Get some awesome hand-welted Vass or Enzo Bonafe for that price.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:44 pm

third year here. i have one shea serrano bookmark. that's it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 pm

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:43 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
merde_happens wrote:"Tasteful" is not an adjective that can accurately describe "basketball hoop." It's kind of like a lower back tattoo in that respect.
Fucking beautiful man.
+1

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:53 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:FWIW, I wasn't actually considering that purchase lol, because as my username suggests, any extra money I have that doesn't go to loans is going to a savings account to someday get a Porsche. But now I'm definitely considering the SKLZ one from above, maybe as a 2nd year.
Please don't save up to buy a depreciating asset like a car. Poor financial decisions make my soul hurt.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:07 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:27 am

Classic new-money trap. About half may be "understandable" or finds it tolerable, the other half (including old-money) finds it distasteful. It's funny how most lawyers are risk-adverse, yet quite a bunch would be willing to take this risk of judgment. There's a reason why they say "flash is trash."

Pizzaburger

New

Post by Pizzaburger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 am

I see that website has a new “love” collection. Seems like that would be more fun than a door basketball hoop. Just my 2 cents though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 am

KissMyAxe wrote:
Same. I don't care if they have a door basketball hoop. But if someone pays a grand for that shit, I'm going to think they're either a rich, spoiled brat with no concept of money, or an irresponsible idiot. I mean, this one's legit as hell. I'd prefer it to OP's, even if they were the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/SKLZ-Pro-Mini-Ba ... B01HRLW1LU

purchased.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:30 am

What’s the consensus on an office mini bar? I feel like it screams mad men wanna be but also I want to be able to pour myself a whiskey every now and then.

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:03 am

Speaking of the mini-fridge. Do people actually have those in their office? Do they just have one delivered to their office one morning? Because it sounds pretty nifty to have.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:What’s the consensus on an office mini bar? I feel like it screams mad men wanna be but also I want to be able to pour myself a whiskey every now and then.
Just keep a bottle around then. Leave it out if it's a bottle for friends too/conversation piece, keep it in a drawer if it's just for you and your alcoholism.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:18 am

Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:17 am

deepseapartners wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:What’s the consensus on an office mini bar? I feel like it screams mad men wanna be but also I want to be able to pour myself a whiskey every now and then.
Just keep a bottle around then. Leave it out if it's a bottle for friends too/conversation piece, keep it in a drawer if it's just for you and your alcoholism.
The key to this is keeping your "for-show" bottle at least 2/3 full or more so you look like you enjoy an occasional drink but at the same time you're not indiscriminately pounding whiskey in your office. Once you get past that point, put it in a drawer cabinet or take it home and get a new showpiece whiskey.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.
No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:24 pm

I have a lot of tall ship paintings, and one old map.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Aergia wrote:Anybody who says they are dropping 10-20k on a current model rolex because it's a good investment and not because they derive pleasure from showing it off is either lying or an idiot.
No one really thinks watches are a good investment. My point was more that, unlike a $1,000 basketball hoop, you might have inherited or been gifted an expensive watch, which in any event is unlikely to lose a substantial portion of its value. That's (part of) why most people would think wearing a Rolex/Patek/IWC is less idiotic than having that hoop in the office.
This. I don't judge you at all for having an expensive watch. IMO, your net worth has not changed (much) from before you bought the nice watch and after. AND you get to show off your watch.

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:15 pm

malibustacy wrote:Speaking of the mini-fridge. Do people actually have those in their office? Do they just have one delivered to their office one morning? Because it sounds pretty nifty to have.
I ordered one on Amazon, had it delivered to the office, and took it out of the box and plugged it in. It is nifty and worth the $100 or so it cost, although I use it less than I expected to when I bought it.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:27 pm

First Offense wrote:I have a lot of tall ship paintings, and one old map.
I like this.

Aergia

New

Post by Aergia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:21 am

gaddockteeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
This. I don't judge you at all for having an expensive watch. IMO, your net worth has not changed (much) from before you bought the nice watch and after. AND you get to show off your watch.
I think if you're judging ppl based on preserving/maximizing net worth, most luxury watch purchases are absurdly stupid and the only reason you think otherwise is because it's a socially acceptable stupid purchase. IMO, barring any serious financial negligence, no one should judge the idiosyncratic expensive shit ppl derive pleasure from unless they're committed to judging it all.

Personally I wouldn't judge OP for spending 1k on that item, but others will (as this thread demonstrates), so if you are concerned about what others think, maybe you should avoid it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:09 am

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
I like this.
+1 for old maps, although I would probably decorate my house with old maps too. Definitely an acceptable decoration and a good conversation piece if it has some regional significance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:37 am

jchiles wrote:
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
I like this.
+1 for old maps, although I would probably decorate my house with old maps too. Definitely an acceptable decoration and a good conversation piece if it has some regional significance.
I have old maps in my home office and would definitely hang them in my actual office if I didn't have a penchant for a bare office that I could pick up and leave at any moment (even though I'm a minor equity partner).

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:42 am

Aergia wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
I think if you're judging ppl based on preserving/maximizing net worth, most luxury watch purchases are absurdly stupid and the only reason you think otherwise is because it's a socially acceptable stupid purchase. IMO, barring any serious financial negligence, no one should judge the idiosyncratic expensive shit ppl derive pleasure from unless they're committed to judging it all.

Personally I wouldn't judge OP for spending 1k on that item, but others will (as this thread demonstrates), so if you are concerned about what others think, maybe you should avoid it.
You should save your massively stupid purchases for clothes, since people sorta care about that.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:45 am

toast and bananas wrote:
KissMyAxe wrote:
Same. I don't care if they have a door basketball hoop. But if someone pays a grand for that shit, I'm going to think they're either a rich, spoiled brat with no concept of money, or an irresponsible idiot. I mean, this one's legit as hell. I'd prefer it to OP's, even if they were the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/SKLZ-Pro-Mini-Ba ... B01HRLW1LU

purchased.
It's up and people like it

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”