Acceptable office decorations for a first year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Has anyone hung/displayed anything in their offices as a first year? Is this kosher?

What about this for the late nights where we're just waiting around (corporate), or too much?

https://killspencer.com/collections/ath ... 3294291022

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Acceptable office decorations for a first year

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:24 pm

I have a poster of Jeff Goldblum. I don't think anyone really cares.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I have a poster of Jeff Goldblum. I don't think anyone really cares.

So we're not at the same firm.

Guaranfuckintee you that the first time people saw it they thought, "wtf is that a poster of Jeff Goldblum? Partner track."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Has anyone hung/displayed anything in their offices as a first year? Is this kosher?

What about this for the late nights where we're just waiting around (corporate), or too much?

That thing costs a grand?!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:I have a poster of Jeff Goldblum. I don't think anyone really cares.

Guaranfuckintee you that the first time people saw it they thought, "wtf is that a poster of Jeff Goldblum? Partner track."

It's for when I'm on the phone or don't want to be bothered:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/cheesy ... =shop_grid

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

It's for when I'm on the phone or don't want to be bothered:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/cheesy ... =shop_grid

I just flick people off.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:36 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Has anyone hung/displayed anything in their offices as a first year? Is this kosher?

I think you could get something similar for like $45 at Toys R Us (or cheaper since I think they're going bankrupt)
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 pm

If I found out a first year associate I worked with paid 1000 for a door basketball hoop I would have an irredeemably negative impression of that person.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:49 pm

jchiles wrote:If I found out a first year associate I worked with paid 1000 for a door basketball hoop I would have an irredeemably negative impression of that person.

Same. I don't care if they have a door basketball hoop. But if someone pays a grand for that shit, I'm going to think they're either a rich, spoiled brat with no concept of money, or an irresponsible idiot. I mean, this one's legit as hell. I'd prefer it to OP's, even if they were the same price.

https://www.amazon.com/SKLZ-Pro-Mini-Ba ... B01HRLW1LU

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:51 pm

jchiles wrote:If I found out a first year associate I worked with paid 1000 for a door basketball hoop I would have an irredeemably negative impression of that person.

I've noticed plenty of law school classmates, as well as other first years (both at my firm and at others) that wear very nice watches, anywhere from Breitling to Rolex. I'm just wondering/playing devil's advocate, do you have an irredeemably negative impression of those first years?

* I should qualify that by "plenty" I mean like a handful or a bit more.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:55 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:

I've noticed plenty of law school classmates, as well as other first years (both at my firm and at others) that wear very nice watches, anywhere from Breitling to Rolex. I'm just wondering/playing devil's advocate, do you have an irredeemably negative impression of those first years?

There's a glaring difference between paying a high price for a luxury timepiece whose value minimally depreciates and a piece of plastic.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 pm

I have a stuffed "This Is Fine" dog and a Calvin and Hobbes print. Do whatever you want*.

*with the exception of paying $1,000 for a basketball hoop. That's fucking ridiculous.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:01 pm

estefanchanning wrote:
PorscheFanatic wrote:

There's a glaring difference between paying a high price for a luxury timepiece whose value minimally depreciates often appreciates and a piece of plastic.

Fixed. Also, it's not an entirely uncommon college graduation/law school graduation/wedding/25th birthday present from parents or your SO.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

Lincoln wrote:
estefanchanning wrote:
PorscheFanatic wrote:

There's a glaring difference between paying a high price for a luxury timepiece whose value minimally depreciates often appreciates and a piece of plastic.

Fixed. Also, it's not an entirely uncommon college graduation/law school graduation/wedding/25th birthday present from parents or your SO.

sry I was thinking mostly Patek or Rolex

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:03 pm

FWIW, I wasn't actually considering that purchase lol, because as my username suggests, any extra money I have that doesn't go to loans is going to a savings account to someday get a Porsche. But now I'm definitely considering the SKLZ one from above, maybe as a 2nd year.

To poster above-- Fair point, and I assumed that would be the response. I'm just wondering what the big difference is between how people spend their money that makes others so judgmental. Most of the associates in my (albeit small) office walk around with Ferragamo loafers on a pretty much daily basis, so why do people care about someone wasting that money on what is a more tasteful/decorative basketball hoop for an office vs. one that looks like a toy, but not judge the shoe choice, watch choice, car choice, choice of expensive Friday night restaurant, etc. And I'm not shitting on the SKLZ hoop, I actually kinda want one in my apartment now too, but I do think the $1k one looks a bit more law firm appropriate (and I'm certainly agreeing that $1k is excessive for it, unless you're a partner with money burning a hole in your pocket).

I get the timepiece argument, but basically all biglaw associates are pretty much rich/bratty/snobs because of what they pay us (even with all of the loan debt), so I don't get the whole judgment on how people spend their money thing. But maybe I'm just naïve. Anyway, I'm a very slow associate in corporate right now, so I'm just bored and looking for something to talk about.

estefanchanning

Bronze

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:FWIW, I wasn't actually considering that purchase lol, because as my username suggests, any extra money I have that doesn't go to loans is going to a savings account to someday get a Porsche. But now I'm definitely considering the SKLZ one from above, maybe as a 2nd year.

To poster above-- Fair point, and I assumed that would be the response. I'm just wondering what the big difference is between how people spend their money that makes others so judgmental. Most of the associates in my (albeit small) office walk around with Ferragamo loafers on a pretty much daily basis, so why do people care about someone wasting that money on what is a more tasteful/decorative basketball hoop for an office vs. one that looks like a toy, but not judge the shoe choice, watch choice, car choice, choice of expensive Friday night restaurant, etc. And I'm not shitting on the SKLZ hoop, I actually kinda want one in my apartment now too, but I do think the $1k one looks a bit more law firm appropriate (and I'm certainly agreeing that $1k is excessive for it, unless you're a partner with money burning a hole in your pocket).

I get the timepiece argument, but basically all biglaw associates are pretty much rich/bratty/snobs because of what they pay us (even with all of the loan debt), so I don't get the whole judgment on how people spend their money thing. But maybe I'm just naïve. Anyway, I'm a very slow associate in corporate right now, so I'm just bored and looking for something to talk about.

Honestly even ferragamo shoes, I get. Or any piece of expensive fashion. But this is literally a piece of plastic. There's nothing artistic/innovative about it. With fashion, you're paying for the comfort, luxury, exclusivity of the item. But a 1k plastic hoop?

I'm actually interested in why you're willing to spend so much money on something like that?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:09 pm

I just used it as a link to start the thread. Yes, I'd love to have so much money that $1000 literally does not matter to me, and then I'd absolutely buy it.

But you missed the part I mentioned above where I said I wasn't actually considering buying it, I was just curious the rationale for hating so hard on it. But I guess I get your point about the fashion argument, but this hoop is exactly that--the exclusivity of the item.

Certainly people don't actually think that Ferragamo's are 3 times as comfortable as Cole Haans? But its the name-brand and exclusivity.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Postby TooMuchTuna » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:11 pm

Did you really stumble across this hoop online and then create an account on TLS just to ask whether people thought it'd be kosher to hang in your office?

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Postby PorscheFanatic » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 pm

Damn, you all are hard on stupid first year, lol.

merde_happens

New

Postby merde_happens » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:FWIW, I wasn't actually considering that purchase lol, because as my username suggests, any extra money I have that doesn't go to loans is going to a savings account to someday get a Porsche. But now I'm definitely considering the SKLZ one from above, maybe as a 2nd year.

"Tasteful" is not an adjective that can accurately describe "basketball hoop." It's kind of like a lower back tattoo in that respect.

I am not even sure what could possibly make that basketball hoop worth a thousand dollars in the logic of anyone's mind. The materials are cheap and I can't imagine that brand demands that kind of markup. If you told me it was a Hermes basketball hoop I would still think it's stupid but at least I'd kind of understand the price point.

Edit to Add: Ferragamos are at least in part priced so high because the materials are of greater quality than that of Cole Haan. But even then, you're talking a 3x markup. Door basketball hoops should cost like, $20. That's a 50x markup.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Things that are fine to have in your office:

--Your diplomas
--Photos of family and friends
--Art
--Potted plants
--Sports memorabilia
--Random sentimental knicknacks
--A coat closet/coat rack
--A mini fridge
--A $20 door basketball hoop

Things that are not fine to have in your office:
--A $1000 door basketball hoop
Last edited by hlsperson1111 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:53 pm

merde_happens wrote:"Tasteful" is not an adjective that can accurately describe "basketball hoop." It's kind of like a lower back tattoo in that respect.

Fucking beautiful man.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Hennessy

Gold

Postby Hennessy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 pm

OP, don't listen to them, this is a totally normal purchase / office decoration. Don't forget to frame the receipt and hang it directly below the hoop.

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:06 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Damn, you all are hard on stupid first year, lol.

To your credit, you're taking it better than most.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment?