Listing Future Employer on Resume Before Clearance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Listing Future Employer on Resume Before Clearance

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:43 pm

I know this topic has been covered ad nauseam, but I have a new twist on it, I think. Or at least I couldn't find a similar question already asked and answered.

I'm in the process of applying for clerkships and some post-grad positions (and phd programs for some reason). I'd like to update my resume to include my future 2L summer employer. Unfortunately my 2L summer offer, which I have accepted, is technically contingent on obtaining a security clearance, and they've indicated that they're working on about a 6-month delay for getting it processed. So I likely won't hear back until May about that. If it matters at all, this is one of the more competitive and "prestigious" PI positions out there, or so I've been told, and I imagine it'd look good on a resume.

Has anyone handled a similar situation, or does anyone have advice on what to do here? I know the easy answer is to leave it off, but if the norm is to list your future 2L summer employer on there (as it seems to be from other threads), I think it might be a bit odd to just have nothing listed for next summer. If I put it on, should I indicate I'm still awaiting the background check?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Re: Listing Future Employer on Resume Before Clearance

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Is this an actual security clearance or a background check? If it's a standard background check I would list (assuming you don't have borderline financial / criminal issues). If it's a clearance I wouldn't.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:Is this an actual security clearance or a background check? If it's a standard background check I would list (assuming you don't have borderline financial / criminal issues). If it's a clearance I wouldn't.

Actual security clearance

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 pm

If you want to be extra cautious, I'd list the job followed by: (pending security clearance)

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm

You know, now that I think about it - they made you an offer, which you accepted. Yeah it's contingent on getting a clearance, but it's still basically an expected job. I'd list it. I don't think you need to mention the pending clearanc, but you can if you want to be really transparent.

mecarey

New

Postby mecarey » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:47 am

"Offer accepted - Summer 2018"

That is 100% factually sound.

Return to “Legal Employment�