Bonus Speculation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bonus Speculation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:35 pm

No no, but now is not the time to use those lawyer distinguishing skills!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:41 pm

Pretty sure "Cadwalader" is the name of an ancient demon fishgod, not a law firm. Nice try but no.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:Pretty sure "Cadwalader" is the name of an ancient demon fishgod, not a law firm. Nice try but no.
Iä! Iä! Cadwalader fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cadwalader R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

charliekelly33

New

Post by charliekelly33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:01 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why is this not bigger news? Cadwalader coming in at 120% above market bonus essentially. 2200 hours is a fairly reasonable bar. It seems like with enough hype this could still have some potential to push DPW or SullCrom up to that level as the market bonus without the billable requirement tho.
Are you tempted to leave your current market-paying firm for Cadwalader? Me neither. That's one reason this is not big news.
Criticisms of Cadwalader are valid (which is probably why they felt the need to do this). However, the point remains the same that they beat the Ballard Spahr scale. Circa 2007 Cadwalader beating market meant something. The BS management committee can't completely laugh this off.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:04 pm

charliekelly33 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Why is this not bigger news? Cadwalader coming in at 120% above market bonus essentially. 2200 hours is a fairly reasonable bar. It seems like with enough hype this could still have some potential to push DPW or SullCrom up to that level as the market bonus without the billable requirement tho.
Are you tempted to leave your current market-paying firm for Cadwalader? Me neither. That's one reason this is not big news.
Criticisms of Cadwalader are valid (which is probably why they felt the need to do this). However, the point remains the same that they beat the Ballard Spahr scale. Circa 2007 Cadwalader beating market meant something. The BS management committee can't completely laugh this off.
I like the effort.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

charliekelly33

New

Post by charliekelly33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
charliekelly33 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
I like the effort.
I'll take any reason to use "BS management committee"

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:11 pm

There are a few firms who extra bonus for a bunch more hours. It's just not worth it.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Post by Mr. Peanutbutter » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Yeah I’ll stay at my chill no hours req firm and just spend $5k or whatever less on all the useless crap I don’t really enjoy
Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:45 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:47 pm

I dont even know how to pronounce Cadawalawalader.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:I just want all firm managers that lurk TLS to know that I plan to think damn hard about applying to Cadwalader now. Damn hard.
(Biddle Drinker)

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Ayyyy leh go!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Everyone already at Cravath et. al was already stupid enough to voluntarily accept hundreds more hours for no additional pay. It’s not like you’re going to break them of their prestige obsession now when that’s all they have left.

No clue why everyone in these threads always think rational incentives are gonna move mountains. Nothing about how this industry works is rational.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Everyone already at Cravath et. al was already stupid enough to voluntarily accept hundreds more hours for no additional pay. It’s not like you’re going to break them of their prestige obsession now when that’s all they have left.

No clue why everyone in these threads always think rational incentives are gonna move mountains. Nothing about how this industry works is rational.

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:41 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

charliekelly33

New

Post by charliekelly33 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 pm

ATL publishing absolute click-bait because these boring bonuses are ruining traffic during its peak season: https://abovethelaw.com/2017/11/could-it-be-ny-to-200k/

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:57 pm

charliekelly33 wrote:ATL publishing absolute click-bait because these boring bonuses are ruining traffic during its peak season: https://abovethelaw.com/2017/11/could-it-be-ny-to-200k/
holy shit... i've never seen something so fully embody the term "click-bait." at least most of the time people try and accompany the headline with some semblance of an article.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greenjuice

New

Post by greenjuice » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:35 pm

There's an ATL post about gifts for legal assistants and paralegals. Is it still $100 per class year nowadays?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:There are a few firms who extra bonus for a bunch more hours. It's just not worth it.
I agree that it is not worth it to gun to try to get an extra bonus. But what if, for instance, you happen to go to 2 trials and happen to hit the number. In that case, I think would be nice to have the extra cash.

bruinfan10

Silver

Post by bruinfan10 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:49 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Pretty sure "Cadwalader" is the name of an ancient demon fishgod, not a law firm. Nice try but no.
Iä! Iä! Cadwalader fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cadwalader R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
this post did not receive sufficient appreciation.

JusticeJackson

Silver

Post by JusticeJackson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:33 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MillllerTime

New

Post by MillllerTime » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:38 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:
greenjuice wrote:There's an ATL post about gifts for legal assistants and paralegals. Is it still $100 per class year nowadays?
Woah, what? I’ve always given $100 total. I usually ask others to make sure I’m in the same boat as others and they always do the same. Didn’t know I was supposed to multiply by class year
I've given more as I've become more senior, though I've never applied a strict class-year multiplier. Also, at least at my firm, associates don't give monetary gifts to paralegals.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm

MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!
Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:55 am

rpupkin wrote:

I don't know, continuing not to work at Cadwalader seems pretty rational to me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”