Bonus Speculation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bearsfan23

Gold

Re: Bonus Speculation

Post by bearsfan23 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:bonuses are not moving. let's not fucking kid ourselves
But, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, stagnant bonuses would be very bad for associate morale. And if I've learned one thing during my years in this profession, it's that big law firms will not tolerate low associate morale.
Maybe at your firm. IME, I really don't think most partners give any fucks about whether associates are happy.

Perhaps your close, open door relationship with your firm's partnership is preventing you from seeing the forest through the trees

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:11 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:bonuses are not moving. let's not fucking kid ourselves
But, as was pointed out earlier in this thread, stagnant bonuses would be very bad for associate morale. And if I've learned one thing during my years in this profession, it's that big law firms will not tolerate low associate morale.
Maybe at your firm. IME, I really don't think most partners give any fucks about whether associates are happy.

Perhaps your close, open door relationship with your firm's partnership is preventing you from seeing the forest through the trees
woooosh

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:55 pm

Of course partners care about associate morale. That's why they buy us La Croix in 3 different flavors.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:01 am

anonnymouse wrote:I'll throw my hat into the stagnant ring.

If I thought MO's bookmaking offers were sincere, I'd throw $3750 on stagnant. Assuming we're doing this on a cash/unreported basis, I would expect the $1250 to be a perfect hedge on a post-tax basis.

Edit: scratch that, I think $2500 would be a perfect hedge.
Whoa, a risk-averse lawyer!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

If I thought MO's bookmaking offers were sincere, I'd throw $3750 on stagnant. Assuming we're doing this on a cash/unreported basis, I would expect the $1250 to be a perfect hedge on a post-tax basis.

:lol: downward revision of the hypothetical hedge on chalk is amazing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anonnymouse

Bronze

Post by anonnymouse » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

There are dozens of us. Dozens!

anonnymouse

Bronze

Post by anonnymouse » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Monday after Thanksgiving is 11/27. Seems a bit on the early side for recent announcements. To add to my earlier bet, I'll put 100 Schrute Bucks on 12/4 in the calendar pool.

MillllerTime

New

Post by MillllerTime » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 am

I'm pretty pessimistic about this kind of crap, but there are too many top firms with revenue up 20% + this year, I think there's a decent chance someone jumps on it.

My prediction is a stagnant bonus on 12/1, 3-5 matches and then a top the next week. Original firms match, but too late, all associates quit within 20 minutes of being topped.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:56 am

MillllerTime wrote:I'm pretty pessimistic about this kind of crap, but there are too many top firms with revenue up 20% + this year, I think there's a decent chance someone jumps on it.

My prediction is a stagnant bonus on 12/1, 3-5 matches and then a top the next week. Original firms match, but too late, all associates quit within 20 minutes of being topped.
Are revenue/ppp numbers out? I thought Amlaw numbers didn't come out the Amlaw 100 numbers came out next year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MillllerTime

New

Post by MillllerTime » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:06 am

dabigchina wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:I'm pretty pessimistic about this kind of crap, but there are too many top firms with revenue up 20% + this year, I think there's a decent chance someone jumps on it.

Are revenue/ppp numbers out? I thought Amlaw numbers didn't come out the Amlaw 100 numbers came out next year.
No - certainly nothing official, but I know of multiple firms that have given presentations to associates indicating as much.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am

Really depends on what kind of a year Cravath is having, but i think the odds of a nominal increase are better than most people think.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:39 am

Cravath stands strong with stagnant bonuses. Associate morale plummets, dissent foments in the ranks.

Simpson can't resist. The year has been too good, and they are as ever aggressive on one-upping the old guard market leaders. They raise associate salaries starting at 200K.

Cravath associate resignation threats flood in and the firm quickly caves, raising salaries to match AND putting record bonuses starting at 10K up from last year for the first year bonus.

Cleary, Davis Polk, and others quickly rise to match.

The partners are broken, their days of hoarding the wealth over. Meekly they accede to stronger Associate Committee leadership involvement, 401 matches, and diet Dr. Pepper stocked in every fridge.

A golden new era of the proud, respected associate is upon us. Bask, my children, in the sunlight that is to come!

Nagster5

Silver

Post by Nagster5 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:06 pm

I for one won't stop until bonuses include a firm equity stake and a promotion to partner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Cravath stands strong with stagnant bonuses. Associate morale plummets, dissent foments in the ranks.

Simpson can't resist. The year has been too good, and they are as ever aggressive on one-upping the old guard market leaders. They raise associate salaries starting at 200K.

Cravath associate resignation threats flood in and the firm quickly caves, raising salaries to match AND putting record bonuses starting at 10K up from last year for the first year bonus.

The partners are broken, their days of hoarding the wealth over. Meekly they accede to stronger Associate Committee leadership involvement, 401 matches, and diet Dr. Pepper stocked in every fridge.

A golden new era of the proud, respected associate is upon us. Bask, my children, in the sunlight that is to come!
In

PorscheFanatic

Bronze

Post by PorscheFanatic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:54 pm

Could we actually see a salary bump this year? I'd prefer a little extra money all year long over a bonus, but both would be real chill.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:01 pm

PorscheFanatic wrote:Could we actually see a salary bump this year?
NYC to 190 has been confirmed for awhile.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:19 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Of course partners care about associate morale. That's why they buy us La Croix in 3 different flavors.
my firm switched to generic sparkling water after my summer... should i worried? :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:20 pm

I wouldn't be so optimistic. If the GOP tax plan passes, NYC law firms/partners may suffer quite a bit (see: https://www.law360.com/articles/981660). Given the likelihood of it passing, I can't see firms jacking up first year (or anyone's) salaries/other expenditures anytime soon.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't be so optimistic. If the GOP tax plan passes, NYC law firms/partners may suffer quite a bit (see: https://www.law360.com/articles/981660). Given the likelihood of it passing, I can't see firms jacking up first year (or anyone's) salaries/other expenditures anytime soon.
MODS

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't be so optimistic. If the GOP tax plan passes, NYC law firms/partners may suffer quite a bit (see: https://www.law360.com/articles/981660). Given the likelihood of it passing, I can't see firms jacking up first year (or anyone's) salaries/other expenditures anytime soon.
MODS
Wouldn't we also suffer? I think we should expect to pay a couple grand more in fed taxes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:15 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:What kind of cost cutting? Getting rid of outdated services like the library/librarian is unfortunate but understandable. Getting rid of snacks is not.

Anyway, our hopes really lie with Cravath with dark horse S&C and maybe STB?
Ya interested as to what cost cutting measures are happening places.
The move to high-deductible health plans is probably the biggest one. DPW did it a couple of years ago, STB is transitioning this year, I think a few other very profitable firms (like Paul Weiss) are moving or have moved recently also.
mvp99 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
MODS
Wouldn't we also suffer? I think we should expect to pay a couple grand more in fed taxes.
Depends I think on your personal circumstances. If all you were ever deducting was state income tax, and you're a single person with no kids, it should be close to a wash, especially if you're a more senior associate getting into the income range where the personal exemption starts to phase out (around 250k). But your taxes are definitely going up if you have a mortgage or donate a lot to charity (since you're not going to benefit from the standard deduction going up to counterbalance the loss of the state tax deduction) or if you have a bunch of kids.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:What kind of cost cutting? Getting rid of outdated services like the library/librarian is unfortunate but understandable. Getting rid of snacks is not.

The move to high-deductible health plans is probably the biggest one. DPW did it a couple of years ago, STB is transitioning this year, I think a few other very profitable firms (like Paul Weiss) are moving or have moved recently also.
Latham also taking away JR associate offices in NY and other smaller markets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:

Latham also taking away JR associate offices in NY and other smaller markets.
Interesting, I heard from someone at LW that this was strictly a space issue, not cost-cutting. I think they didn't start renos soon enough, but didn't know it was happening in non-NY offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 pm

In addition to concerns about partners' taxes going up, their relative after-tax income would plummet if many of their friends are paying 25% on business income. That drives people's decision making more than absolute wealth/income.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm

2014 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Cravath stands strong with stagnant bonuses. Associate morale plummets, dissent foments in the ranks.

In
associates STRIKE for TWO fridges of DDP

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”