Bonus Speculation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 14525
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am

rpupkin wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!

Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.

It's the little things that make Cadwalader truly shine as a bastion of associate compassion. Why, I hear many of their partners frequently go out of their way to communicate at high volumes at associates just in case any are hard of hearing!

charliekelly33
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby charliekelly33 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:25 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!

Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.

It's the little things that make Cadwalader truly shine as a bastion of associate compassion. Why, I hear many of their partners frequently go out of their way to communicate at high volumes at associates just in case any are hard of hearing!


Those bonuses speak VOLUMES! (see what I did there?)

User avatar
AntipodeanPhil
Posts: 1306
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:21 am

Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?

Nope, I’d expect a match this afternoon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?

Partner lunch is every Thursday, they will announce the match after that.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo
Posts: 567
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AntipodeanPhil wrote:Not meaning to undermine the Cadawaladar discussion, can we draw even an inkling of hope from the fact that we still haven't heard anything from DPW? Does it suggest that maybe they're at least seriously thinking about it? Also did I miss the S&C announcement?

Partner lunch is every Thursday, they will announce the match after that.


Shun the nonbeliever!

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 5629
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby rpupkin » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
MillllerTime wrote:Admittedly I'm not really sure what Cadwalader is, but that appears to be an objectively above-market bonus and I'm not sure how any associate/law student wouldn't consider that a positive. Someone who would otherwise choose Cravath probably isn't going to let a 20% bonus increase sway them, but it can and should sway people on the margins. Even if you plan to go work 1800 hours, it's nice to know that the firm will reward the effort if you do get unusually busy one year. Kudos to Cadwalader - associates should start applying there in Droves!

Here here! Finally, there's a big law firm on the scene that actually cares about associates.

It's the little things that make Cadwalader truly shine as a bastion of associate compassion. Why, I hear many of their partners frequently go out of their way to communicate at high volumes at associates just in case any are hard of hearing!

This is just one of many measures that Cadwalader has taken to improve the associate experience. For example, whereas litigation associates at other firms must go to trial in order to get the valuable experience of billing over 2,500 hours a year, Cadwalader gives associates the opportunity to bill high hours without the nuisance of going to court. At Cadwalader, you can bill 2,500-3,000 hours while drafting discovery responses and reviewing documents—all at the comfort of your desk. Very innovative!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:23 pm

DPW matched.

KM2016
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:20 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby KM2016 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW matched.


Game over. Now lets start the NY to $200k thread!

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DPW matched.


It's not on ATL yet, so I call fake news.

User avatar
PvblivsScipio
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby PvblivsScipio » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:32 pm

D P double fuck You

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:03 pm

Shaaaaaaame.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Not sure if anyone’s interested but Akin Gump matched and with the usual up to 25K extra

User avatar
Pokemon
Posts: 3486
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Pokemon » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:47 pm

The reason bonus did not go up is because ny is going to 200k this January.

User avatar
Mr. Peanutbutter
Posts: 9387
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:53 pm

Pokemon wrote:The reason bonus did not go up is because ny is going to 200k this January.

Don’t forget the gross up to compensate us for the additional unpaid raise in 2017

nybar2017
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm

AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 pm

nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

nybar2017
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?


Don't work there, just saw it on ATL (https://abovethelaw.com/2017/12/no-bonu ... glaw-firm/).

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

yeah - 10k Stipend

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

yeah - 10k Stipend


Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

yeah - 10k Stipend


Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.

I'm the OP re 10k Stipend - the stipend is a 10k loan, so you still gotta pay it back. Still kinda shitty imo, but it was nice to have the 10k upfront, untaxed to get me through the summer.

Edit:
My understanding was that a bunch of DC firms did stipend instead of stub bonus.

Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

yeah - 10k Stipend


Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.

I'm the OP re 10k Stipend - the stipend is a 10k loan, so you still gotta pay it back. Still kinda shitty imo, but it was nice to have the 10k upfront, untaxed to get me through the summer.

Edit:
My understanding was that a bunch of DC firms did stipend instead of stub bonus.

Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)


Stipend = Free cash
Advance = Loan

If you had to pay it back, I take back what I said. But many firms give 10-20k free cash but then don't do a stub year bonus. That is better than advance + stub bonus. Sounds like Akin is just doing advance + NOBUONUS. That sucks. Lets bash this TTT.

charliekelly33
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby charliekelly33 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
nybar2017 wrote:AkTTTin Gump not paying stub bonuses.


do you guys get stipends?

yeah - 10k Stipend


Whoever outted this to ATL just fucked over future classes. 10k stipend >> whatever bonus stubs typically get. At most it's like 3,750 and that's if you are on track for 2000 hours at firms without hours cut offs. It wouldn't surprise me if most stubs wouldn't anything at Akin even if they were eligible.

I'm the OP re 10k Stipend - the stipend is a 10k loan, so you still gotta pay it back. Still kinda shitty imo, but it was nice to have the 10k upfront, untaxed to get me through the summer.

Edit:
My understanding was that a bunch of DC firms did stipend instead of stub bonus.

Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)


If its a loan then that's weak. I know of firms that pay the 10k stipend not as loan and do not do stub year bonus, which is actually more overall comp. Most firms do a loan and a stub year bonus. Akin's policy means their first years are paying back their loan (i.e., substantially lower paychecks) and not getting a stub bonus. That's rough on the start up costs/first loan payments hitting first years right now.

nybar2017
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:42 pm

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby nybar2017 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)


My understanding was that only a few firms have hours requirements, and everyone else was simply lockstep, so even stubs would get their bonus (which is around 4500-5000). You Akin'rs should riot!

Anonymous User
Posts: 302686
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bonus Speculation

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:37 pm

nybar2017 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Also, most friends in stub bonus firms got nothing, since they were pretty dry and in their honeymoon period for the first couple months at the firm (no steady work flow)


My understanding was that only a few firms have hours requirements, and everyone else was simply lockstep, so even stubs would get their bonus (which is around 4500-5000). You Akin'rs should riot!

We are sheep no more.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.