(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:21 pm

I appreciate the replies. My concerns have been alleviated.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Kirkland Chicago overstaffed summer associates?

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:23 pm

They have in the past few years at least cold offered people as well in the Chicago office, when it was half the size. Just as a heads up. They don't have a true 100% offer rate to begin with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:24 pm

The starting first year associate class this year in Chicago is about 65 people. You're fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:27 pm

The starting class this year was around 60 (half 3L hires). About 15 laterals (3rd years and below) have also started at the firm in the past few weeks. The firm is crazy busy. Last years summer class was also huge. You’ll be fine. The firm will 100% offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm

What is a 'cold offer'?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is a 'cold offer'?

A cold offer happens when the firm wants to have a 100% offer rate, but doesn't want a summer. Essentially, the firm tells the summer you are receiving an offer but don't come back and don't accept the offer. The benefit is for both the firm and the summer. For the firm, they keep the 100% offer rate and they know the summer won't be coming back. For the summer, they get to tell other firms they received a return offer.

Cold offers have been increasingly used the past 3+ years because firms are conscious about their 100% offer rates, but either over hire or don't want that summer for whatever reasons.

Some firms, not necessarily the one in this case, are known for cold offering large portions of their class.

Upshot- Just because a firm says they have a 100% offer rate doesn't mean that is actually the underlying truth. Don't rely solely on those numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Please don't quote.
Thoughts?

Oh FFS, can't you look up the old information about summer hires? Next summer they'll have 65, last summer they had 58, the previous summer 41, and the summer before that 42.

It's an extremely profitable law firm (5th in RPL and 3rd in PPP) and it's a good economy. And the fact that they've hired around 60ish this year and last year shows it's not a fluke.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Yep, nothing to worry about. Summer last year was 58, the biggest class in years; all got offers (and no colds so far as I know).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thoughts?

Oh FFS, can't you look up the old information about summer hires? Next summer they'll have 65, last summer they had 58, the previous summer 41, and the summer before that 42.

It's an extremely profitable law firm (5th in RPL and 3rd in PPP) and it's a good economy. And the fact that they've hired around 60ish this year and last year shows it's not a fluke.

Where did you find those numbers? I may be reading the NALP reports wrong, or else not have the right spots.

I appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Not sure where this cold offer business is coming from. I know the concept, but I have not heard of it happening at KE Chicago. Obviously not something that would be trumpeted, but if it happened, its definitely not common. Kirkland is known to not offer a person here and there, but its very rare--the bar is not high.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thoughts?

Where did you find those numbers? I may be reading the NALP reports wrong, or else not have the right spots.

I appreciate it.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=273353

Start here and go backwards. The same email we got has basically been reported going years back. Try and relax a little before you get to KE: Chi. I'm going to be summering there too and would rather not work with a bunch of nervous nellies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:31 am

Work at a firm that is consistently across the table from K&E

They’re very well regarded (at least in our practice) and the Chicago office seems consistently slammed. Don’t worry, they have more than enough junior work to burn you out with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Work at a firm that is consistently across the table from K&E

They’re very well regarded (at least in our practice) and the Chicago office seems consistently slammed. Don’t worry, they have more than enough junior work to burn you out with.

This, they are also actively hiring mid-level laterals so I think the simpler explanation -- they just have a lot of work -- is the better one.

nonsharepartner

New

Postby nonsharepartner » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:03 pm

False about cold offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:04 pm

We have not cold offered anyone in at least the last 6 years since I have had the info. We hired more people because we need corporate folks as an abnormally large percentage of 2 and 3 years have left or specialized. Firm is busier than ever and we need bodies. Definitely did not over-hire, were still conservative, to be honest. And we routinely have 100% offer rate here - with very few exceptions (namely one summer getting drunk and saying he/she would rather be at McKinsey and one other summer having an inappropriate relationship at the firm).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm

I personally know a Kirkland Chicago cold offer in the past 2 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:41 pm

Kirkland NY went approximately 30, 40, 65, 100 in class sizes over the last few years. The firm is just growing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:05 pm

I personally know of a cold offer in a non-Chicago Kirkland office this year, FWIW.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We have not cold offered anyone in at least the last 6 years since I have had the info. We hired more people because we need corporate folks as an abnormally large percentage of 2 and 3 years have left or specialized. Firm is busier than ever and we need bodies. Definitely did not over-hire, were still conservative, to be honest. And we routinely have 100% offer rate here - with very few exceptions (namely one summer getting drunk and saying he/she would rather be at McKinsey and one other summer having an inappropriate relationship at the firm).

This is obviously false, as the subsequent posts have made clear. Why do people think like this?

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 am

Cold offers or no, the point is the class isn't overhired. If someone gets cold/no offered it will be for cause, not because they overhired. Don't worry; go do good work and relax.

malibustacy

Bronze

Postby malibustacy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 am

Plenty of people deserve cold offers or worse. Some people entering these summer associate programs aren't fit to work a minimum wage job, much less practice law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am

I know several people at KE Chicago across multiple different practice groups, and the firm is incredibly busy. I wouldn't be worried.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:53 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:We have not cold offered anyone in at least the last 6 years since I have had the info. We hired more people because we need corporate folks as an abnormally large percentage of 2 and 3 years have left or specialized. Firm is busier than ever and we need bodies. Definitely did not over-hire, were still conservative, to be honest. And we routinely have 100% offer rate here - with very few exceptions (namely one summer getting drunk and saying he/she would rather be at McKinsey and one other summer having an inappropriate relationship at the firm).

This is obviously false, as the subsequent posts have made clear. Why do people think like this?

Because I am on the summer associate committee and I know for certain w/r/t Chicago office. I cannot control what people may say to friends to save ego.

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

Because I am on the summer associate committee and I know for certain w/r/t Chicago office. I cannot control what people may say to friends to save ego.

LOL. Sure. People tell their closest friends they were cold-offered to brag. And ruthlessly for-profit firms never let people go quietly, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Fuck off, sincerely. Propaganda like this is part of what makes getting cold-offered such a shameful and debilitating thing.

Edit - this doesn't mean OP has to be worried. I'm not saying that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:18 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:

LOL. Sure. People tell their closest friends they were cold-offered to brag. And ruthlessly for-profit firms never let people go quietly, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Fuck off, sincerely. Propaganda like this is part of what makes getting cold-offered such a shameful and debilitating thing.

Edit - this doesn't mean OP has to be worried. I'm not saying that.

I hate to get into a pissing match with someone who doesn't know anything definitely about the situation but since I do know for a fact that K&E Chicago has not cold offered anyone for the past 6 years, I have to correct the inaccurate record in this thread. I do not know about other offices of the firm. I think people who get no-offered here may spin it however they want but this firm simply does not over-hire then no offer people. If people do not get offers from K&E it is because they earned the no-offer. (Anonymous because I have posted too much personal information in other threads and do not want to out myself as being on the summer associate committee here).

Return to “Legal Employment?