Houston versus Dallas Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Houston versus Dallas

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:45 am

Does anybody have any insight into the opportunities in one city versus the other?

I am from Houston and still have family there, but I really like and would prefer Dallas (I know). I've worked in both cities before law school. Each have reasons why I would like to live there. I'm trying to decide which city to focus on because I would honestly be happy in either, but I don't want to limit my exit options. I am looking at Texas longterm.

Does Dallas have about the same exit options as Houston? Currently at a school that places the vast majority in big law.

BasilHallward

Silver

Re: Houston versus Dallas

Post by BasilHallward » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have any insight into the opportunities in one city versus the other?

I am from Houston and still have family there, but I really like and would prefer Dallas (I know). I've worked in both cities before law school. Each have reasons why I would like to live there. I'm trying to decide which city to focus on because I would honestly be happy in either, but I don't want to limit my exit options. I am looking at Texas longterm.

Does Dallas have about the same exit options as Houston? Currently at a school that places the vast majority in big law.
(1) Great use of anon. (2) Yes, Dallas has "about the same" exit options as Houston. If we're talking in-house options, Dallas and Houston both have over 20 Fortune 500 companies. North Dallas/Plano/Frisco could be a game-changer going forward, as we'll see if companies continue flocking there.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody have any insight into the opportunities in one city versus the other?

Career-wise they are about the same, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of having family in-town over the long term. It's a personal decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:03 am

Hey OP, good question. I am a Texas native and had the same question myself last year. Dallas is a nicer, more pleasant place to live in my opinion. But, for Big Law, I think Houston has a clear advantage due to energy space. The firms are much, much larger and the class sizes bigger. Size of corporate transactions in Houston are much larger. However, Dallas has GREAT PubCo exit options (Houston is mostly energy). I also don't think picking one city eliminates the other for exit options. In fact, I know a guy in H-town big law who just scored a GC job in Dallas. Hope that helps.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm

^^ this is spot on. Imo, get your training wheels off and the resume line at a top Houston spot then go to Dallas if you want (or stay in Houston if you end up liking it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:21 pm

I actually split my summer between Houston and Dallas (having been from Austin, both were new experiences for me). I would agree Dallas is "prettier" as a whole, which could be a draw for some (I guess). It is undeniable that Houston has the stronger legal market and does more sophisticated work in general. Dallas probably has more non-energy public company exits, but those positions are usually ones where you are one of 30-50 attorneys and you won't make more than 200/year most likely. Go to Houston for a couple years at BB/VE or Latham and then you can go to Dallas later if you want. There is a reason the TX powerhouse firms are all based in Houston and all the top NY firms are fighting (and paying insane $) to open shops in Houston and not Dallas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Having worked at a BigLaw firm in Dallas and after moving here to Houston to another BigLaw, the quality and level of work in Houston is generally better than the work in Dallas. If you are indifferent, go to Houston first. You will learn more.

toast and bananas

Bronze

Post by toast and bananas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:13 pm

A common go-to in these situations is to simply pick whichever city has a world series caliber baseball franchise. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm

OP here.

Thanks for the insight, y'all. I really appreciate it. You all have been very helpful. If anybody has further thoughts please feel free to add.

Sorry that the use of anon bothered some of you. I included some personal information in my post and when combined with my profile it may make me identifiable. I don't want future employers thinking I'm trying to flake on one city or another. Just playing it safe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:25 am

I'll agree with most of what's been said above. If you want the "best" exit options in terms of resume and prestige, the Houston powerhouse firms are the way to go: VE/Latham/Kirkland are the biggest ones right now with BB/Sidley a bit below (at least in what I've seen), followed by the rest. If you can get one of those big three, do it, otherwise, unless you specifically want to work in energy, the other firms are about equal to Dallas's main firms/branches so then just pick based on fit and what you'd prefer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:35 pm

What are the hours like for corporate associates at one of the top Houston firms?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Is there any truth to the wisdom that Houston shops are better for corporate, but Dallas shops are better for lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the hours like for corporate associates at one of the top Houston firms?
The same as at any given big law firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”