What's the best way to handle this situation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's the best way to handle this situation?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Done, thanks
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lurklaw

Silver

Re: What's the best way to handle this situation?

Post by lurklaw » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Which brief prompted the negative feedback? As far as I can tell, you've described three separate filings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:16 pm

lurklaw wrote:Which brief prompted the negative feedback? As far as I can tell, you've described three separate filings.
It's the last one (the reply); the order goes 1. My motion, 2. His motion 3. My reply for my motion

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm

So in a nutshell, you wrote a reply, received minor edits from one partner, but then another partner looked at the reply and made major edits, right?

I don't know that anyone here can provide much advice other than general "this is how you humbly take criticism" type stuff. One partner thought your reply was good but another one didn't. Accept the feedback and show a willingness to improve, even if you don't think you did anything wrong. It doesn't sound like there is a whole lot to explain about the situation other than one partner thought the reply was fine (you might try to cautiously sneak that fact in during the meeting, but only if you can do so in a super tactful way, otherwise it sounds like you are deflecting).

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:24 pm

If your brief-writing is as disorganized as the OP, I think I see the problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:So in a nutshell, you wrote a reply, received minor edits from one partner, but then another partner looked at the reply and made major edits, right?

I don't know that anyone here can provide much advice other than general "this is how you humbly take criticism" type stuff. One partner thought your reply was good but another one didn't. Accept the feedback and show a willingness to improve, even if you don't think you did anything wrong. It doesn't sound like there is a whole lot to explain about the situation other than one partner thought the reply was fine (you might try to cautiously sneak that fact in during the meeting, but only if you can do so in a super tactful way, otherwise it sounds like you are deflecting).
This sounds like a solid approach; thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:05 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:If your brief-writing is as disorganized as the OP, I think I see the problem.
Yeah, the post was messy, sorry -- I wrote it on my phone this morning on the subway.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:23 pm

The best way is just to be enthusiastic about an opportunity to improve your writing, even if you don't think it needed to be improved. Anything else will be a worse black mark than actual poor writing ability.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”