Dorsey Whitney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dorsey Whitney

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Anyone know anything about this firm? Particularly, salary scale in major market offices?

Anonymous User

Re: Dorsey Whitney

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:57 am

NALP Directory says they start at $125K. That's all I gots!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Dorsey & Whitney just raised starting salaries to 140. I believe Faegre matched but have not heard of the other Minneapolis firms matching.

The firm is pretty tight-lipped on compensation generally, but I believe for most associates bonuses are about 10% of base (but can go up if your hours are extremely high).

I believe compensation in their offices in Chicago/New York pay closer to market in those cities, but do not match 180. Don't have much of an insight into their other offices, but I imagine it's comparable to Minneapolis.

As for the firm itself, it's kind of the Cravath of Minnesota--extremely highly regarded for a very long time, but traditional and conservative to a fault. I have not always heard great things about associate quality of life; they have struggled at times to retain associates in years past and I have heard management has been deaf at times to quality of life issues. That said, they're making an effort to get better, and raising salaries by 17% last month certainly puts their money where their mouth is.

If you can stick it out, it's a great place to be a partner (and partnership prospects are pretty good for most associates), and it's a very good stepping stone to in-house roles at U.S. Bank or their other large clients.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dorsey & Whitney just raised starting salaries to 140. I believe Faegre matched but have not heard of the other Minneapolis firms matching.

The firm is pretty tight-lipped on compensation generally, but I believe for most associates bonuses are about 10% of base (but can go up if your hours are extremely high).

I believe compensation in their offices in Chicago/New York pay closer to market in those cities, but do not match 180. Don't have much of an insight into their other offices, but I imagine it's comparable to Minneapolis.

As for the firm itself, it's kind of the Cravath of Minnesota--extremely highly regarded for a very long time, but traditional and conservative to a fault. I have not always heard great things about associate quality of life; they have struggled at times to retain associates in years past and I have heard management has been deaf at times to quality of life issues. That said, they're making an effort to get better, and raising salaries by 17% last month certainly puts their money where their mouth is.

If you can stick it out, it's a great place to be a partner (and partnership prospects are pretty good for most associates), and it's a very good stepping stone to in-house roles at U.S. Bank or their other large clients.

This is extremely on-point. I'd go so far as to say they probably have the lowest associate satisfaction of any of the big firms in Minneapolis. It's that bad. I don't work there, to be clear, but literally every other firm (except maybe Faegre) shits on them for being the local sweatshop.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about this firm? Particularly, salary scale in major market offices?

Can you point us to a specific office that you are interested in getting info on?

Return to “Legal Employment”