Conflicts Check For SA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conflicts Check For SA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 pm

How long does it usually take for the process to be completed? Mine has been going for some time now and I’m not sure whether I should start worrying about it.

Anonymous User

Re: Conflicts Check For SA

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm

At my firm it takes 1-2 months, unless there's some reason to rush it (in which case it can be done in minutes).

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am

There is a good chance they won’t even let you know when it is complete. You shouldn’t be worried.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:56 am

The conflicts department at a firm is bogged down by normal course conflicts checks for new clients or matters and then gets further backlogged by partners requesting ASAP checks for urgent matters. Then there are also normal course hires. Background checks for SAs are super last priority. It'll take a bit, so relax.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:48 am

My firm never told me anything about conflicts. My impression was that no news is good news.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:41 pm

dabigchina wrote:My firm never told me anything about conflicts. My impression was that no news is good news.

So they gave you an offer for SA that is contingent upon passing conflicts, but they never got back to you saying that you are actually good to go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dabigchina wrote:My firm never told me anything about conflicts. My impression was that no news is good news.

So they gave you an offer for SA that is contingent upon passing conflicts, but they never got back to you saying that you are actually good to go?

Most background check for SA happens in March of the following year.

de minimis

New

Postby de minimis » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I never heard anything. Some firms probably tell you, but I think many just leave you to assume its fine so long as they don't say anything.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, just to clarify, it's weird that the OP is getting a conflicts check now, right?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:17 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, just to clarify, it's weird that the OP is getting a conflicts check now, right?

Yes. I got mine for SA like 1 month before starting. op will probably get another then as well. It’s a non issue.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:14 pm

No news is good news. At worst, they probably just screen you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:16 pm

You also don't "fail" a check. I had a conflict from interning for a federal judge that was on a case my firm was on and the firm just put an ethical wall up. Meaning I was just blocked from accessing docs concerning that case.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Firms and offices vary wrt timing. You'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment?