Is it bad to tell this to an interviewer? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is it bad to tell this to an interviewer?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Upon graduation, I got an offer from one of my 2L summer employers. We signed the employment contract. They initially promised to sponsor my visa but then they later said they would not be able to sponsor my visa and rescinded the offer.

I wanted to tell my interviewer that I got an offer from the firm where I worked. Would I look bad in any way if I tell this situation? This employer doesn't need to sponsor my visa this time (don't ask. long story)

What do you think?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elendinel

Silver

Re: Is it bad to tell an interviewer this?

Post by elendinel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:29 pm

I don't have experience with this personally but I can at least say that if someone gave me an explanation like that in an interview, I would find it useful/it wouldn't hurt, especially if you're sure you won't need them to sponsor a visa and can succinctly explain how circumstances changed.

Rowinguy2009

Bronze

Re: Is it bad to tell an interviewer this?

Post by Rowinguy2009 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:10 pm

elendinel wrote:I don't have experience with this personally but I can at least say that if someone gave me an explanation like that in an interview, I would find it useful/it wouldn't hurt, especially if you're sure you won't need them to sponsor a visa and can succinctly explain how circumstances changed.
I agree with this (although I too don't have experience with this). The alternative is that you don't address it, in which case the interviewer is likely to assume you didn't get in offer, in which case they could assume it was because of work product issues. This story seems to strongly suggest that the problem was with securing the visa, not with you.

nealric

Re: Is it bad to tell this to an interviewer?

Post by nealric » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Upon graduation, I got an offer from one of my 2L summer employers. We signed the employment contract. They initially promised to sponsor my visa but then they later said they would not be able to sponsor my visa and rescinded the offer.

I wanted to tell my interviewer that I got an offer from the firm where I worked. Would I look bad in any way if I tell this situation? This employer doesn't need to sponsor my visa this time (don't ask. long story)

What do you think?
I think you can say you got an offer but the employer was unable to sponsor your visa. Or you could even say, "yes", but visa issues prevented me from joining them and add the explanation about your current status. Since you don't need a visa now, I don't see it as being a big issue. There's no guarantee they will even ask whether you got a 2L offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”