I'm nuts! Can't get over my "favorite firm" rejections.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jacketyellow

Bronze

Re: I'm nuts! Can't get over my "favorite firm" rejections.

Postby jacketyellow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Did you seriously write a treatise about how much you like firms? Dude, all firms in the V100 are hell. Work for two or three years, and get out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:27 pm

I don't have one offer and I've gotten more rejections than I can count. What is this post.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Also, to answer OP's question of "why was I rejected," it depends on the stage.

If you never got a screener, your grades/resume weren't good enough.

If you got a screener but no callback, generally two options:

- Your grades were good enough, but the 20 min interview just didn't go well for any reason from personality clash w/ your interviewer to not laughing enough at his/her jokes.

OR

- Your grades were lower than what they normally take and you failed to "WOW" them in the interview.

If you got a callback but no offer, it's generally that you failed to "click" with your interviewers. Obviously, the rapport (or lack thereof) you had with the partner-level interviewers carry more weight than your rapport (or lack thereof) with junior associates.

Once you're doing interviews, you're not being rejected for anything material like how smart you are or how successful of a lawyer you will be--no honest interviewer will tell you that's what they're looking for, because there's no way to figure that out from an interview. They just want to know you're a cool person to be around and whether or not they would be happy working with you on a project that lasts a few 60 hr weeks. Obviously, your credentials will still carry weight in the callback stage, but the purpose of callback interviews isn't to determine whether you're partner material.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:51 pm

I think we're done here.

Return to “Legal Employment�