AUSA Application Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm applying for an AUSA position, and I have two questions:

1) The application requires a PDF of bar membership. Does anyone know what I should use for this?
2) The application does not ask for writing samples, just cover letter, resume, and bar membership. Should I not provide a writing sample since this was not requested?

Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:56 pm

You should be able to go online and get a letter of good standing from your jurisdiction - some let you download something, some make you fill out a form and then they e-mail it to you (so it might take a couple of days). If you're up against a deadline, does your jurisdiction give out bar cards? You could try photocopying your current bar card, but I think they're asking for something official from the jdx where you're admitted.

And no, don't send a writing sample. Many offices will do a preliminary cut and then ask a smaller pool for writing samples.

(Current AUSA who's applied a few places.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You should be able to go online and get a letter of good standing from your jurisdiction - some let you download something, some make you fill out a form and then they e-mail it to you (so it might take a couple of days). If you're up against a deadline, does your jurisdiction give out bar cards? You could try photocopying your current bar card, but I think they're asking for something official from the jdx where you're admitted.

And no, don't send a writing sample. Many offices will do a preliminary cut and then ask a smaller pool for writing samples.

(Current AUSA who's applied a few places.)


Any rough idea as to how good of a sign making the first cut is? In one major office they requested a writing sample and LORs after my initial submission. Just trying to read tea leaves. Or just make myself feel better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:52 pm

I think it's a pretty good sign, but unfortunately I can't give you any numbers - like how many they cut or anything. Way better than the alternative, though! Good luck.

User avatar
jess

Diamond
Posts: 18149
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby jess » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:03 pm

.
Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

gaddockteeg

Bronze
Posts: 373
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You should be able to go online and get a letter of good standing from your jurisdiction - some let you download something, some make you fill out a form and then they e-mail it to you (so it might take a couple of days). If you're up against a deadline, does your jurisdiction give out bar cards? You could try photocopying your current bar card, but I think they're asking for something official from the jdx where you're admitted.

And no, don't send a writing sample. Many offices will do a preliminary cut and then ask a smaller pool for writing samples.

(Current AUSA who's applied a few places.)


Any rough idea as to how good of a sign making the first cut is? In one major office they requested a writing sample and LORs after my initial submission. Just trying to read tea leaves. Or just make myself feel better.


Very good sign. IME the first cut weeds out like 90% of the applications.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:28 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You should be able to go online and get a letter of good standing from your jurisdiction - some let you download something, some make you fill out a form and then they e-mail it to you (so it might take a couple of days). If you're up against a deadline, does your jurisdiction give out bar cards? You could try photocopying your current bar card, but I think they're asking for something official from the jdx where you're admitted.

And no, don't send a writing sample. Many offices will do a preliminary cut and then ask a smaller pool for writing samples.

(Current AUSA who's applied a few places.)


Any rough idea as to how good of a sign making the first cut is? In one major office they requested a writing sample and LORs after my initial submission. Just trying to read tea leaves. Or just make myself feel better.


Very good sign. IME the first cut weeds out like 90% of the applications.


I sent my resume to EDNY and got a letter requesting that I fill out the application. The website makes it sound like that's standard practice but wondering if it might also be a good sign. Anyone know?

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Diff Anon from OP

Does anyone have any insight on what each USA Office prefers in a candidate (ie: former big law vs. local prosecutors vs clerkships etc)?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze
Posts: 293
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Generally speaking the major offices have a strong preference for the clerkship-biglaw-USAO route. These are basically SDNY/EDNY/CDCA/NDCA/NDIL/EDVA/D.Mass. I think for other major cities biglaw is preferred as well (EDPA etc.).

For that first group of offices, a clerkship is basically mandatory. SDNY/EDNY have an extremely strong preference towards hiring from biglaw, and will almost never hire from the local DAs office. EDVA might be more amenable to hiring people from main justice.

andythefir

Silver
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby andythefir » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Diff Anon from OP

Does anyone have any insight on what each USA Office prefers in a candidate (ie: former big law vs. local prosecutors vs clerkships etc)?


No 2 are going to be the same, and each USA will have slightly different preferences. It's also a big difference between being in Phoenix v Yuma re what the USA is going to look for. But for the prestige offices, yes, they will look for the usual markers of prestige.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324976
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:35 am

What are the "prestige offices?" Obviously SDNY, but what others are there?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 am

Pretty sure prestige is in the eye of the beholder. :lol:

andythefir

Silver
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:56 am

Re: AUSA Application Questions

Postby andythefir » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the "prestige offices?" Obviously SDNY, but what others are there?


I think the most helpful framework would be there are 3 bands of competitiveness. 1 is SDNY/EDVA/NDCA, 2 is big cities (Chicago, Seattle, Dallas) that attorneys want to live in, then 3 are small towns that are still big enough to have a USAO. Subject to some town-specific wrinkles (law school in town, only office in a state).



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.