Taking semester off in 3L, logistics for jobs/clerkships, worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking semester off in 3L, logistics for jobs/clerkships, worth it?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:36 pm

I'm a 3L and I'm currently dealing with a disastrous personal situation. At the end of 2L year I had an insane number of crises. These include a serious medical issue and a completely separate personal tragedy. Don't want to out myself, but something that would be about as bad would be a car accident that leaves you requiring ongoing physical therapy & multiple surgeries combined with the death of a sibling. Add to that, at the beginning of summer I got to experience the sudden breakup of a long-term relationship that was heading towards marriage, and the loss of most of my friends as a result.

I sucked it up and got through my SA, and got an offer. I like the firm and group okay, but I do not want to be in NYC. I didn't make a huge positive impression on anyone and didn't network that effectively. I took a handful of sick days. I was kinda weird. My work was very good according to my supervisors, but I was such a personal disaster that I'm surprised I even got the offer. In other words, no one is going to pull strings or make it a point to help me out.

So now it's 3L. I expected it to be easier than my SA, and it is, but I'm just completely, completely done. I am beyond exhausted. I do not know if I can complete this semester, or if it's reasonably healthy for me to even try. I'm not depressed, miraculously, but I am mentally and emotionally exhausted.

QUESTIONS: What are the chances of my firm revoking my offer if I delay? Is it worse for clerkships to take a semester off, or to get notably shitty grades with a good excuse? What if I want to move firms, would taking time off fuck me completely when applying? What would I do in summer 2018---does an internship make sense or could I just take that time off?

Anything I'm missing?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Taking semester off in 3L, logistics for jobs/clerkships, worth it?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 am

I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. I can't comment on any of the firm stuff, but I think for clerkships a semester off would be way better than a semester with shitty grades. Also generally I think prioritizing your mental/physical health makes the most sense here. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:31 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. I can't comment on any of the firm stuff, but I think for clerkships a semester off would be way better than a semester with shitty grades. Also generally I think prioritizing your mental/physical health makes the most sense here. Good luck.

Thanks / bump

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I'm sorry you're dealing with all this. I can't comment on any of the firm stuff, but I think for clerkships a semester off would be way better than a semester with shitty grades. Also generally I think prioritizing your mental/physical health makes the most sense here. Good luck.

Thanks / bump

Agree with this (and also don't know anything about firm stuff). Enough judges use some kind of school/grade combo as a screening mechanism that a big hit to your grades might leave you without the opportunity to ever tell anyone your "good excuse."

Return to “Legal Employment�