Joining a firm as a 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Joining a firm as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:59 pm

Can anyone talking about their experience joining a big-law firm as an entry-level? I summered at a firm in NYC, got a return offer, but through my coursework and clinic 2L and 3L year, developed an interest in a practice my 2L firm didn't do much of. So, I interviewed at some firms during my 3L year, and was lucky to get an offer for a firm that has a stronger practice area that I'm interested in.

But, I'm nervous about joining a firm where I don't have relationships with people the way someone who was a summer associate would have. Can anyone in similar shoes tell me about their experience, or if anyone has any tips/advice etc? Thank you!!

Anonymous User

Re: Joining a firm as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Also interested

umichman

Bronze

Postby umichman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:27 pm

nobody will be there for you to go say hi to yoru first week and it might take longer for you to make friends with others in your year. After the second week you wont notice any difference.

quiver

Silver

Postby quiver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 pm

It's not all that different from joining after summering. You summered at another firm, and most summers are glorified food fests anyway, so you won't be behind in actual legal skills. In terms of relationships, you may not have a head start by knowing the best partners/associates to work for, friends in your class, etc. But, as an associate, you'll make friends and gather this info pretty quickly (both through your own experiences and through talking to your your classmates). No need to be nervous.

surrealfx

New

Postby surrealfx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:44 pm

I joined after graduating from law school, and it didn't matter much. You'll pick up what you need to know quickly. Good luck, and congratulations.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Do you know how big their summer class was (i.e. the class that you'll be joining)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:28 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Do you know how big their summer class was (i.e. the class that you'll be joining)?

Their class has 80 kids

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:Do you know how big their summer class was (i.e. the class that you'll be joining)?

Their class has 80 kids

I think you'll be fine. There are enough events and training early on that you'll get socialized easily. Just be nice and gregarious.

Return to “Legal Employment�