How do firms perform background checks on new hires?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do firms perform background checks on new hires?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:36 pm

I can't find answers to my questions by searching.If anyone can help me out, it would be very helpful.

1. Should a candidate list all the contacts of the all the jobs that he worked at? Or a background check agency contacts HR for the companies/firms that the candidate worked for?

2. What if the company (startup) failed and no one works for it any more? How can the background check be performed?

3. Do small/mid sized firms also hire an agency to perform background checks on all the employment history?

Thank you!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Re: How do firms perform background checks on new hires?

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Small firms typically do not conduct background checks. My regional firm does not conduct background checks. Generally, background checks search public records for information like: (1) do you have a criminal record; (2) have you filed bankruptcy; (3) etc.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: How do firms perform background checks on new hires?

Postby malibustacy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Big firms usually farm out the background check work to professional companies that do that kind of stuff, such as Aurico.

I'd list all your jobs to be safe, even for those companies that no longer exist. It's important for conflict of interest reasons as well.

Return to “Legal Employment�