Milbank NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 pm

I have a lateral offer from one of the finance subgroups (not project finance). Anyone have insight on culture, hours, firm health, the office move, etc.?

Weighing it against another firm and already met with most of the associates. Please don't quote me. TIA

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 pm

LA associate here. Their new office is looking AMAZING. Firm health couldn't be better; my practice group (transactional side) just had our monthly meeting and the partner in charge gave us a run down of firm wide financial health. Aces.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 pm

Was a summer there this summer. Their transportation group was very popular among the summers. People were nice and the offices were mostly empty by 8PM.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Bumping ... any other thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Have a friend who is a rising third year in a finance subgroup there.... loves it more than anyone I know from my law school class year at a big firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Asking this here rather than starting a new thread. Does anyone have any insight into the culture of Milbank NY's restructuring group versus other top restructuring groups? Skadden, Kirkland, Weil,Jones Day, Davis Polk, Akin, etc. Restructuring is known to be especially brutal for work/life balance, so I'd be interested to hear some perspectives.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Restructuring is rough but better than the peer firms you mentioned. Doesn’t hurt that there’s rarely the bs work that goes with debtor/estate prof stuff

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asking this here rather than starting a new thread. Does anyone have any insight into the culture of Milbank NY's restructuring group versus other top restructuring groups? Skadden, Kirkland, Weil,Jones Day, Davis Polk, Akin, etc. Restructuring is known to be especially brutal for work/life balance, so I'd be interested to hear some perspectives.


Milbank associate here. I have a buddy who was in Davis Polk's restructuring group for two years before he burned out. He had several back to back to back 300 plus months and then steady 200s on either side. I'm not in our restructuring group, but it is no way near that bad.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have a friend who is a rising third year in a finance subgroup there.... loves it more than anyone I know from my law school class year at a big firm

Describe what he loves about it. Can anyone provide more detail on what is so great?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a friend who is a rising third year in a finance subgroup there.... loves it more than anyone I know from my law school class year at a big firm

Describe what he loves about it. Can anyone provide more detail on what is so great?

No minimum hour requirement can’t be highlighted enough.

Solid financials and a pretty humane group of partners for a big law firm

Decent training program and, for the most part, good clients that aren’t abusive

Of course, this all depends on each individual’s group/personality/luck, but for a big law firm the quality of life is pretty decent. Most people I know who have left went for professional opportunities and not to another similar firm/group

Anonymous User
Posts: 313986
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Milbank NY

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have a friend who is a rising third year in a finance subgroup there.... loves it more than anyone I know from my law school class year at a big firm

Describe what he loves about it. Can anyone provide more detail on what is so great?

No minimum hour requirement can’t be highlighted enough.

Solid financials and a pretty humane group of partners for a big law firm

Decent training program and, for the most part, good clients that aren’t abusive

Of course, this all depends on each individual’s group/personality/luck, but for a big law firm the quality of life is pretty decent. Most people I know who have left went for professional opportunities and not to another similar firm/group


Echoing this for the LA office. Really can't imagine a better situation. Especially with the hours requirement. People often say "well there's no requirement because you are going to be billing in the stratosphere." Not true. Most people in my group the last few years have been around 1900, with a couple people well below (1300-1500), but no one well above. We had one massive deal last year that put people around 2000, but that was just an intense few months.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.