Chicago Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
quikpitch

New

Chicago Biglaw

Postby quikpitch » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Anyone have any info on Winston & Strawn? I know that TLS used to give them a lot of hate years ago because they no-offered an entire summer class or something like that. Is that vibe still around?

Also what about other Chicago biglaw? People say NY biglaw is a nightmare (lots of all-nighters) and LA is a little bit easier, does Chicago fall somewhere in the middle? Or are firms like Skadden/Latham/Kirkland still run like their NY counterparts?

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:45 pm

quikpitch wrote:Anyone have any info on Winston & Strawn? I know that TLS used to give them a lot of hate years ago because they no-offered an entire summer class or something like that. Is that vibe still around?

Also what about other Chicago biglaw? People say NY biglaw is a nightmare (lots of all-nighters) and LA is a little bit easier, does Chicago fall somewhere in the middle? Or are firms like Skadden/Latham/Kirkland still run like their NY counterparts?

I know a couple people at Winston. It seems nice but idk anything beyond that. They were the first to move to 180k in Chicago for whatever that's worth.

I have a couple friends who split summers between New York and Chicago Skadden. The experiences were so different between the two cities that they both picked Chicago and never looked back.

I picked up an early offer in Chicago at a firm I liked and skipped EIP for that reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Double post

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 pm

I think Winston is very aware of their perceived reputation due to the no offer debacle, and I would venture to say that they would be extremely reticent to no offer anyone at this point without very good reason (i.e. the summer would have to really fuck up to get no offered). I also think the fact that they were the first Chicago firm to match $180k kinda shows that they're making an effort to overcome any stigma.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:03 pm

quikpitch wrote:Anyone have any info on Winston & Strawn? I know that TLS used to give them a lot of hate years ago because they no-offered an entire summer class or something like that. Is that vibe still around?

I think Chicago does fall in between based on convos with friends that work in NYC and LA with Kirkland being more like a NY firm than Winston, Sidley, etc. Plus purchase power is pretty solid in Chicago.

Agree with what others said re: Winston. It seems like they're going out of their way to make sure associates are happy and ppl stop talking about the no offers from several years back.

Return to “Legal Employment�