Declining Pro Bono Work Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Declining Pro Bono Work

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi, big law associate here just finishing my first year. Is it okay to decline a long-term pro-bono client when a partner reaches out to you directly and really pushes for it?

I'm already involved in a fairly time-consuming pro bono matter, and am afraid it would take away from my billable work (or leave me pushing crazy hours that I don't necessarily want).

jd20132013

Silver

Re: Declining Pro Bono Work

Post by jd20132013 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:21 pm

Unless you think want to make partner turn it down and don't think twice.

If you do want to make partner reconsider

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:50 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Unless you think want to make partner turn it down and don't think twice.

If you do want to make partner reconsider
This. Do you also have billable work you can cite?

This is a time suck. I gather from your post that this some type of non-profit organization the firm does regular work for. If so, the partner is probably pushing this on you because it is a client that requires both sustained maintenance and occasional fire drills that he doesn't have time to deal with, but there's value in maintaining the relationship either because he is on the board or knows folks on the board. Either way, you've predicted exactly what is going to happen, eventually you will get slammed with billable work and either turn in subpar work on all your matters or neglect the pro bono client. You do not need that stress.

I know it is challenging to push back on partners as a first year, but you have to remember it's not good for anyone (client, partner, partners/associates on your other matters, or you) to be spread thin.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 am

he can find another 1st year you likely arent the only one

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”