2L/3L Grades...Important?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327262
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:41 am

How low do 2L/3L grades have to be to not receive a full time offer after the summer at a V20?

Please no responses about how i should start working harder.

Neff

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 am

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby Neff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:52 am

You should work harder.

You should also learn to use the search function and see that this is the number one question asked on this forum.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:How low do 2L/3L grades have to be to not receive a full time offer after the summer at a V20?

Please no responses about how i should start working harder.

I'm not sure what do here. One the one hand, I want to honor your request re not responding that you should work harder. On the other hand, you are going to summer at a V20, where excellence (and the hard work required to maintain that excellence) is required.

What kind of response would you like? Please advise.

bluthmodelhome

New
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby bluthmodelhome » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 pm

My firm gave offers at the end of the summer program this year without asking for our 2L grades, FWIW.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 924
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:05 pm

You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.

BlueParrot

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby BlueParrot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.

Nah, just be sure to go into corporate where bros like me don't even know what an infinitive is.

I did slack off some after 1L and my life wasn't ruined. In most cases it won't be a problem, but there's always a risk. The biggest risk is if you get no-offered and have to find another position. If you ever try to lateral, firms will always want to see your transcript as well. No idea of how much they actually care though. When I lateraled it didn't seem to matter much.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5046
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:06 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.


I can't wait until a new generation of partners are in, so that ridiculous "rule" can finally disappear.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327262
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:42 pm

I regret slacking off my 2L/3L years since I'm a junior and hate my firm.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby runinthefront » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.

FWIW, this is a dying rule
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

icechicken

Bronze
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby icechicken » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:37 pm

runinthefront wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.

FWIW, this is a dying rule


Never should have been a rule; it's something English grammarians decided we ought not do in English because it can't be done in Latin (because Latin infinitives are just inflected words). To ham-fistedly shoehorn rules from other languages into one's own is to needlessly waste time and energy.

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 836
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:18 pm

This thread turned out to be pretty interesting.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby albanach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.


I can't wait until a new generation of partners are in, so that ridiculous "rule" can finally disappear.


Have all the new partners you want. If clients ask lawyers not to split infinitives, lawyers will continue to abide by the commonly accepted rules. Ken Adams has covered this very topic - to not/ not to - on his blog and his only reason to prefer the unsplit infinitive is to avoid pissing off those that care which, after all, is determinate when you decide to work in a service industry.

http://www.adamsdrafting.com/to-not-or-not-to/

So, if you want to make partner it might be best not to split your infinitives, whether your in corporate or litigation.

User avatar
Nagster5

Silver
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:28 am

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby Nagster5 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:34 pm

albanach wrote: *you're

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:24 pm

albanach wrote:So, if you want to make partner it might be best not to split your infinitives, whether your in corporate or litigation.

That's the silliest thing I've read this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327262
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm

albanach wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.


I can't wait until a new generation of partners are in, so that ridiculous "rule" can finally disappear.


Have all the new partners you want. If clients ask lawyers not to split infinitives, lawyers will continue to abide by the commonly accepted rules. Ken Adams has covered this very topic - to not/ not to - on his blog and his only reason to prefer the unsplit infinitive is to avoid pissing off those that care which, after all, is determinate when you decide to work in a service industry.

http://www.adamsdrafting.com/to-not-or-not-to/

So, if you want to make partner it might be best not to split your infinitives, whether your in corporate or litigation.

:roll:

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby albanach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: :roll:


Interesting use of anonymous to protect your emoji.

Seems some folk have trouble with a bit of Friday afternoon hyperbole. Of course it's unlikely to affect your partnership chances, but it's is still pisses off clients who retain outside counsel at $xxx/hour and receive work product that looks like it was written by a sixth grader. My point was just to say clients talk about the writing quality because it reflects on them. And, whether you're in litigation or transactions, words matter.

albanach

Gold
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby albanach » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:43 pm

albanach wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.


I can't wait until a new generation of partners are in, so that ridiculous "rule" can finally disappear.


Have all the new partners you want. If clients ask lawyers not to split infinitives, lawyers will continue to abide by the commonly accepted rules. Ken Adams has covered this very topic - to not/ not to - on his blog and his only reason to prefer the unsplit infinitive is to avoid pissing off those that care which, after all, is determinate when you decide to work in a service industry.

http://www.adamsdrafting.com/to-not-or-not-to/

So, if you want to make partner it might be best not to split your infinitives, whether you're in corporate or litigation.

User avatar
zhenders

Silver
Posts: 942
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: 2L/3L Grades...Important?

Postby zhenders » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:49 pm

icechicken wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:You split an infinitive, so I would start working on proofreading.

FWIW, this is a dying rule


Never should have been a rule; it's something English grammarians decided we ought not do in English because it can't be done in Latin (because Latin infinitives are just inflected words). To ham-fistedly shoehorn rules from other languages into one's own is to needlessly waste time and energy.


Come on folks, surely all of this is good for at least four or five more pages



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.