Too soon to Lateral? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too soon to Lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Please do not quote.

Just finished up first year of biglaw in a (non-NY/DC/SF) practice group I'm not crazy about but could probably tolerate for a couple more years. The problem is that my department is slow. Like, very, very slow. I've billed less than 50 hours so far in September and this has not been uncommon for me. My review was great, everyone tells me that my work is good, etc., but I am just not getting work, and neither is another associate in my class (there were three of us hired in my year, and only one is getting anywhere near enough hours). I feel like I got basically no experience last year at all (my annualized hours were ~1100), and am on the path to being labeled as a loser, particularly now that my department just took on three more new first-years, each of whom is also constantly begging for work. I've spoken to multiple partners in my department about this, and each of them has reiterated that the department is just "slow," but it has been this way since I began over a year ago. It's slightly better this year, but by "slightly better" I mean that I am on track for 1500 or 1600 hours instead of 1100. The firm does not publish any billable hour requirement, but we all know that that's a lie.

Is it too soon to start trying to move to other firms in the same city? I've always worked hard (top 5% of T20, LR, etc.), and feel like my current position is just a dead end, which makes it even harder to get excited about the work that I do occasionally get. I would much rather be working more, learning more, and getting some real experience than showing up in my office and shooting the shit all day. The anxiety of sitting in my office doing virtually no billable work (though I've published some articles with my copious free time) is taking a massive toll on my mental health in that I'm constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. That said, I don't want to move too soon, especially since I may want to change practice areas in the distant future. Thoughts?

Guyver

New

Re: Too soon to Lateral?

Post by Guyver » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Enjoy the slow work pace while you can. There is nothing wrong with that. Do you want to stress out constantly ? Why not seek pro bono work from the pro bono department at your firm if your aim is gaining more experience ? You will be recognized and gain more experience.
Last edited by Guyver on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Too soon to Lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 am

Not too soon to lateral. Just be really careful in selecting your new firm. You do not to jump to a third firm in 3-4 years.

One big advantage you have is that firms find it difficult to fill openings during this time of year because no one wants to give up their bonus. Around the first of the year, that will change.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”