Eligibility to become Patent Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Eligibility to become Patent Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Apologies if this thread is not in the right section of the forum.

To be eligible to take the patent practitioner exam:
One of the options, besides having a Bachelor's in a hard science, is to have a certain amount of credits in either physics, chemistry and/or biology. Does anyone know if anatomy and physiology are considered as biology classes?

Thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Eligibility to become Patent Attorney

Post by UVA2B » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 pm

I could be wrong on this, but the USPTO guidance is pretty specific whether coursework applies, but generically if the classes were specifically geared toward a science major, they would count. So if you were taking an anatomy or physiology class that is required for biology majors, then it will count. If not, they won't apply to the Cat. B options.

And just so we're clear, the Cat. B options generally require 8 credit hours of physics and chemistry along with classes in biology, etc. Biology is accepted after/in addition to the chemistry/physics reqs.

You may have looked this up, but here is the guidelines from the USPTO:
i. Option 1: 24 semester hours in physics. Only physics courses for physics majors will be accepted.
ii. Option 2: 32 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and 24 semester hours in biology, botany, microbiology, or molecular biology.
The 8 semester hours in chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in two sequential courses, each course including a lab. Only courses for science or engineering majors will be accepted.
iii. Option 3: 30 semester hours in chemistry. Only chemistry courses for chemistry majors will be accepted.
iv. Option 4: 40 semester hours in a combination consisting of the following:
8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics, and
32 semester hours of chemistry, physics, biology, botany, microbiology, molecular biology, or engineering. (For Computer Science, see other acceptable course work.)
The 8 semester hours of chemistry or 8 semester hours of physics must be obtained in two sequential courses, each course including a lab. Only courses for science or engineering majors will be accepted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Thanks for your respond. I have looked at the options but I just wondered if anatomy and physiology is considered under "biology" in those options.

Saltnpeppa1

New

Post by Saltnpeppa1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:08 pm

When I applied to sit for the exam, I qualified under Category B. They were pretty liberal in interpreting whether certain classes fell under the course requirements. I don't know about your specific question though.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:40 pm

I think it will largely depend on your syllabus/what you learned. Like if you have a syllabus that showed that what you learned was a legitimate expansion of what you'd learn in a college-level biology class for bio majors, they're more likely to accept it as one of your biology classes. If it's a "science for nonmajors" type class it's less likely to be accepted. I don't have experience using an anatomy class, specifically, to qualify, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apologies if this thread is not in the right section of the forum.

To be eligible to take the patent practitioner exam:
One of the options, besides having a Bachelor's in a hard science, is to have a certain amount of credits in either physics, chemistry and/or biology. Does anyone know if anatomy and physiology are considered as biology classes?

Thanks.
I recommend you just contact the USPTO OED and explain your situation. They were very helpful when I did.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”