Mistake in resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mistake in resume

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

After sending out hundreds of resumes and having proofread it several times myself, and having had other people proofread it (including my CSO advisor), I just noticed that on my resume, it says "American Constitutional Society" rather than "American Constitution Society."

It was sent out that way for clerkships, to firms, and for my SLIP application. I've always heard that a mistake in a cover letter, email, or other type of correspondence might be overlooked, but a resume mistake is a killer. Have I literally just wasted months of my time?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Mistake in resume

Postby Lacepiece23 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After sending out hundreds of resumes and having proofread it several times myself, and having had other people proofread it (including my CSO advisor), I just noticed that on my resume, it says "American Constitutional Society" rather than "American Constitution Society."

It was sent out that way for clerkships, to firms, and for my SLIP application. I've always heard that a mistake in a cover letter, email, or other type of correspondence might be overlooked, but a resume mistake is a killer. Have I literally just wasted months of my time?

I mean would the average person know that the "American Constitution Society" is really he "American Constitutional Society?" That's not a spelling or grammar mistake that an average lawyer would necessarily spot. That takes some thought, and the person to know the correct name or look it up. I think you're fine here.

By the way, I think Constitutional sounds better anyway.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:51 pm

I made this exact error with my resume and an associate at a firm pointed it out to me. It's not that big of a deal and I would guess that 90+% of people reviewing your resume will not notice it.

Borhas

Platinum

Postby Borhas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After sending out hundreds of resumes and having proofread it several times myself, and having had other people proofread it (including my CSO advisor), I just noticed that on my resume, it says "American Constitutional Society" rather than "American Constitution Society."

don't worry about it
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:02 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I made this exact error with my resume and an associate at a firm pointed it out to me. It's not that big of a deal and I would guess that 90+% of people reviewing your resume will not notice it.

How was it pointed out to you? Just "hey, FYI, no big deal, but you might want to fix this?"

I'm hoping that for SLIP and clerkships (where they're pretty meticulous with everything), it'll go unnoticed as well. Nobody has mentioned it at CBs. Really wish I'd noticed it a couple of weeks ago before I submitted all those apps.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I made this exact error with my resume and an associate at a firm pointed it out to me. It's not that big of a deal and I would guess that 90+% of people reviewing your resume will not notice it.

How was it pointed out to you? Just "hey, FYI, no big deal, but you might want to fix this?"

I'm hoping that for SLIP and clerkships (where they're pretty meticulous with everything), it'll go unnoticed as well. Nobody has mentioned it at CBs. Really wish I'd noticed it a couple of weeks ago before I submitted all those apps.

The associate just told me on the phone, and I fixed it. Keep in mind that many people would not notice this error either because they wouldn't see it or because they wouldn't know the correct name of the organization.

Return to “Legal Employment�