FTC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nativtracker

New

FTC

Postby nativtracker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Can anyone share their thoughts on working as an attorney with the FTC? I recently had my callback interviews with them for the summer 2L position (which supposedly leads to consideration for employment). But honestly, the work doesn't sound that great. From what I've come to understand, you're basically an investigator. The man I spoke to on the phone said some attorneys never see the inside of a courtroom their entire career. Not because they don't want to, but because most matters don't go that far. And if they do, some senior attorney usually takes the lead from you (i.e. the litigation department, which supposedly you "can" transfer into after a few years). Not to come off as a prestige %$ore, but the guy on the phone was exclaiming about all the exciting training opportunities . . . like when a professor from Seton Hall comes up every year to teach them about how to take depositions (which they almost never take). After I had my callback, I honestly was very close to just calling them back and telling them I would prefer not to be considered. But if anyone has any positives to share, please do. I am on the fence.

Anonymous User

Re: FTC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:51 pm

I'm with a different federal agency. That said:

1. The questions is always "or?" What are your alternatives to the FTC?

2. There's a good chance you won't get to see the inside of a court room in biglaw either.

3. Bigfed "official" training is a flame.

4. Bigfed responsibility is not a flame, and that provides a lot of training, even if it's qualitatively different. It's also a lot of fun. That said, I don't know how the responsibilities between the "litigation department" and everyone else at FTC breaks down.

royale with cheese

New

Postby royale with cheese » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:43 pm

I have a lot of friends who left my previous biglaw firm to join FTC. They all seem to really love it. Obviously the trial opportunities are not the same as if you were a line prosecutor somewhere, but they seem to be better than biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm a attorney at the FTC; lateraled from biglaw as a midlevel. I'd say the experience probably varies a lot by bureau and group, but my personal experience is not consistent with your impression. I haven't been here that long, and I've already taken a couple of depositions, and have have a potential trial on the horizon. Moreover, I've noticed a lot of opportunities given to relatively junior attorneys.

My overall impression of the biglaw vs. FTC worlds is as follows: the quality of work is roughly the same, and I'm doing more or less the same stuff that I did as a midlevel lit associate. But, there is less work and usually more time in which to do it. The workplace culture is also better, and the importance of having a compelling, shared mission to pursue should not be underestimated. Biglaw will make you lots more money, that's for sure, but if you can afford the government paycheck, I recommend the FTC every day of the week (and 3 or 4 times on weekends and holidays, which I no longer have to work).

Return to “Legal Employment�