Fuck This Shit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ur_hero

Bronze

Re: Fuck This Shit

Postby ur_hero » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:48 pm

Really like my big law job.

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:56 pm

Yanky91 wrote:I Just want to vent a little. I worked my ass off and did well in law school. I got a job at a firm I thought I wanted to work at. For all those who think "Biglaw" is the greatest achievement you can achieve, it is not. Biglaw, as they call it, is shit. I am surrounded by fat, ugly, unhealthy, depressed people. Everyone I have ever spoken to in my firm is miserable. Everyone I have ever spoken to in my firm wishes they did something else with their lives. How did this profession fall to this level? This shit is depressing. If you are in law school studying your ass off to go to "biglaw" stop. Study to learn and do well, and then choose a career that you enjoy and that interests you. Focus in an area of law that is your bread and butter. Don't get sucked into all the hype. Find your niche and find what you love to do. Don't listen to all the noise. If you want to work at a smaller family law firm, then do it. Don't slack off in school, and learn the material for the sake of knowing the law. Please do not let these fucking morons have an effect on you. I make a lot of money, sure, but in the end, I almost never see my wife and kid. I just feel like I am doing something . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but my life is passing me by, and the most important parts will be lost in the wind.

Oh boo hoo.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:12 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Come to LA where we shame fat associates and guilt them into doing soulcycle.

Still, like, 98% sure we are at the same firm.

OP, sorry shit is shitty. My old firm sucked the house for these reasons. My new firm is like rainbows and sunshine. It can be better.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:25 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Come to LA where we shame fat associates and guilt them into doing soulcycle.

OP, sorry shit is shitty. My old firm sucked the house for these reasons. My new firm is like rainbows and sunshine. It can be better.

Yeah, shit like this makes it actually good for people to start looking at lateraling and stuff. The grass actually is often greener. Or at least sometimes.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:

Maybe we do, especially if you knew that was a joke because we don't have any fat associates.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

Maybe we do, especially if you knew that was a joke because we don't have any fat associates.

I'm basically the fattest associate here and on my worst days I look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:45 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Life is full of happy people and, in counterpoint, people who will never be happy.

I flew jets in a former life--arguably a lot of people's (overgrown kid's) dream job. You know what? I met viscerally unhappy people doing that job all the time. I also met people who were thrilled to be doing that job and wouldn't've traded those experiences for the world. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

Similarly, my wife is a current V100 biglaw litigation associate. In her group of friends, there are viscerally unhappy people and those who are enjoying themselves. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

To expand this further, my brother is an MD/PHD practicing as a physician and researcher at a very high level in his field. I've met his friends. Some are viscerally unhappy people. Others love the shit out of their job. Same job, same demands. Different personalities.

In this thread you will find examples of people who enjoy being a biglaw lawyer and those who don't. This isn't unique to the legal industry. This spectrum of personalities and their subjective experiences of enjoyment are on full display across careers and across industries.

Ultimately, IMO, people who look to a career to fulfill them are setting themselves up for disappointment. (If it happens, great--but if not, that wasn't its purpose anyway.) Focus on getting/keeping a kickass group of friends, a loving family and developing hobbies or an outlet for your talents and passions after work hours. This is a good way to disappointment-proof your life so you aren't overly reliant on your career to fill that gaping hole where "need for belonging" and "need for fulfillment" plug in.

Good luck!

Really like this post! Especially the bolded part. In counterpoint, however, it's worth pointing out that some jobs are miserable precisely because you don't have enough time to disappointment-proof your life by spending quality time with friends/family/hobbies.

jd20132013

Silver

Postby jd20132013 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:59 pm

That was the nicest way of saying the post is nonsense I've ever seen.

Biglaw is bad precisely because you can't do the things in bold.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Let's cut the guy some slack. We've all needed to vent at some point.

Spartan_Alum_12

Bronze

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:I Just want to vent a little. I worked my ass off and did well in law school. I got a job at a firm I thought I wanted to work at. For all those who think "Biglaw" is the greatest achievement you can achieve, it is not. Biglaw, as they call it, is shit. I am surrounded by fat, ugly, unhealthy, depressed people. Everyone I have ever spoken to in my firm is miserable. Every4one I have ever spoken to in my firm wishes they did something else with their lives. How did this profession fall to this level? This shit is depressing. If you are in law school studying your ass off to go to "biglaw" stop. Study to learn and do well, and then choose a career that you enjoy and that interests you. Focus in an area of law that is your bread and butter. Don't get sucked into all the hype. Find your niche and find what you love to do. Don't listen to all the noise. If you want to work at a smaller family law firm, then do it. Don't slack off in school, and learn the material for the sake of knowing the law. Please do not let these fucking morons have an effect on you. I make a lot of money, sure, but in the end, I almost never see my wife and kid. I just feel like I am doing something . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but my life is passing me by, and the most important parts will be lost in the wind.

Oh look, a dumb fucking K-JD. Breaking news dipshit, the vast majority of the professional class (including you I'm sure) looks like DF, not a bunch of supermodels.

And have you literally never read this board before? Everyone on here knows Biglaw can be soul-crushing work, and it's a huge mistake to get into if you're not aware of it. Did you not do OCI? Did you not summer at a firm? You seem just like a whiny bitch.

Nobody is forcing you to do biglaw, just quit if your "life is passing you by" or whatever the fuck that means. You're Exhibit A for why being a K-JD should be illegal. You want to work 40 hours a week in a fun job, and still make $180k. With rare exceptions, that just doesn't happen. And why the fuck are you giving career advice, when it's pretty obvious you just started working?

Oh, and in before Nony starts giving advice on what Biglaw is like, because she just can't help herself

Holy shit 180

One of my most jarring experiences was taking the bar. I've never seen so many ugly and overweight people collected in one room, except maybe at a Sizzlers

You obviously didn't study engineering.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Are people seriously railing on OP? OP - GTFO of this profession and never look back. Many people in this job are fine working their life away to compile as much money as possible given their limited skill sets. If you aren't one of those people, then just figure out what you want to do and leave. Life is too short to do something you hate and be surrounded by assholes. I know this is the decision that I have made and it has made me a much happier person.

You just can't do this job and have a healthy lifestyle most of the time. Even if you are slow, there is nothing protecting you from being out hiking or biking or just relaxing on a Sunday afternoon and getting a random phone call asking you to sit and do hours of work. Toxic profession filled with toxic people.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:00 pm

I concur with the fugly people observation. Hit the gym, fatties!

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Yanky91 wrote:I Just want to vent a little. I worked my ass off and did well in law school. I got a job at a firm I thought I wanted to work at. For all those who think "Biglaw" is the greatest achievement you can achieve, it is not. Biglaw, as they call it, is shit. I am surrounded by fat, ugly, unhealthy, depressed people. Everyone I have ever spoken to in my firm is miserable. Every4one I have ever spoken to in my firm wishes they did something else with their lives. How did this profession fall to this level? This shit is depressing. If you are in law school studying your ass off to go to "biglaw" stop. Study to learn and do well, and then choose a career that you enjoy and that interests you. Focus in an area of law that is your bread and butter. Don't get sucked into all the hype. Find your niche and find what you love to do. Don't listen to all the noise. If you want to work at a smaller family law firm, then do it. Don't slack off in school, and learn the material for the sake of knowing the law. Please do not let these fucking morons have an effect on you. I make a lot of money, sure, but in the end, I almost never see my wife and kid. I just feel like I am doing something . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . but my life is passing me by, and the most important parts will be lost in the wind.

Oh look, a dumb fucking K-JD. Breaking news dipshit, the vast majority of the professional class (including you I'm sure) looks like DF, not a bunch of supermodels.

And have you literally never read this board before? Everyone on here knows Biglaw can be soul-crushing work, and it's a huge mistake to get into if you're not aware of it. Did you not do OCI? Did you not summer at a firm? You seem just like a whiny bitch.

Nobody is forcing you to do biglaw, just quit if your "life is passing you by" or whatever the fuck that means. You're Exhibit A for why being a K-JD should be illegal. You want to work 40 hours a week in a fun job, and still make $180k. With rare exceptions, that just doesn't happen. And why the fuck are you giving career advice, when it's pretty obvious you just started working?

Oh, and in before Nony starts giving advice on what Biglaw is like, because she just can't help herself

Holy shit 180

One of my most jarring experiences was taking the bar. I've never seen so many ugly and overweight people collected in one room, except maybe at a Sizzlers

Why the fuck would I go to law school if I had studied engineering?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:

Holy shit 180

Why the fuck would I go to law school if I had studied engineering?

Guy I knew in law school had a BS and MS in engineering from an ivy and MIT. What a dope.

orangecup

Bronze

Postby orangecup » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are people seriously railing on OP? OP - GTFO of this profession and never look back. Many people in this job are fine working their life away to compile as much money as possible given their limited skill sets. If you aren't one of those people, then just figure out what you want to do and leave. Life is too short to do something you hate and be surrounded by assholes. I know this is the decision that I have made and it has made me a much happier person.

You just can't do this job and have a healthy lifestyle most of the time. Even if you are slow, there is nothing protecting you from being out hiking or biking or just relaxing on a Sunday afternoon and getting a random phone call asking you to sit and do hours of work. Toxic profession filled with toxic people.

+1 to everything here. Big law sucks. People who think otherwise are Stockholmed. Work on getting the hell out, OP.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:38 pm

orangecup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are people seriously railing on OP? OP - GTFO of this profession and never look back. Many people in this job are fine working their life away to compile as much money as possible given their limited skill sets. If you aren't one of those people, then just figure out what you want to do and leave. Life is too short to do something you hate and be surrounded by assholes. I know this is the decision that I have made and it has made me a much happier person.

+1 to everything here. Big law sucks. People who think otherwise are Stockholmed. Work on getting the hell out, OP.

Or we just lucked out with a good firm that is humane and doesn't work us to the bone. There are good firms out there. There are good offices out there. People just don't listen.

People are like "well I should go to Latham/S&C/Gibson/Skadden/K&E because I got the offer."

And we're all like, "but maybe you should look at that other non V[>10] firm offer you got because it's a dope firm with some cool shit going."

And they're all like, "but I want to go to Latham/S&C/Gibson/Skadden/K&E because it's a V[>10] and I want to maximize my [some bullshit response] that won't be available to me if I go to the other firm because it's only in the V32-43 band."

To which we're like "what fucking band is that?"

To which they're like, "I just gotta follow my gut on this."

To which we're like, "do your gut a favor and get some Pepcid before you start following it."

Then fast forward a year to the above OP.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:14 pm

My office is full of 8s.

Chouchou

New

Postby Chouchou » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Or we just lucked out with a good firm that is humane and doesn't work us to the bone. There are good firms out there. There are good offices out there. People just don't listen.

People are like "well I should go to Latham/S&C/Gibson/Skadden/K&E because I got the offer."

And we're all like, "but maybe you should look at that other non V[>10] firm offer you got because it's a dope firm with some cool shit going."

And they're all like, "but I want to go to Latham/S&C/Gibson/Skadden/K&E because it's a V[>10] and I want to maximize my [some bullshit response] that won't be available to me if I go to the other firm because it's only in the V32-43 band."

To which we're like, "do your gut a favor and get some Pepcid before you start following it."

Now really curious where you work; would you mind PM me the firm name?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:29 pm

Chouchou wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Now really curious where you work; would you mind PM me the firm name?

Sorry man if I tell you everyone is going to show up and try to look at my abs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:10 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:

I agree with you that choosing a firm based on prestige is pretty dumb, but at least in NYC, places with decent QOL and humane hours just don't really exist. Even at the smaller firm with "better quality of life" that I lateraled to, I work just as much and the demands are just as burdensome on my life, if not worse since deal teams are smaller and clients call me directly. Also, you never know when a new partner will join and completely screw up the culture of a group.

I just think corporate law is shit work (can't speak for lit) and i'm pretty upfront about it. Which is why I will not be a lawyer for much longer. I have a lot of friends that work in these places, some can handle it, some can't and some actually like it. The ones that can't handle it, which is the majority, have found no refuge in lateraling around and are just looking forward to resigning from the profession when they can.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:

I agree with you that choosing a firm based on prestige is pretty dumb, but at least in NYC, places with decent QOL and humane hours just don't really exist. Even at the smaller firm with "better quality of life" that I lateraled to, I work just as much and the demands are just as burdensome on my life, if not worse since deal teams are smaller and clients call me directly. Also, you never know when a new partner will join and completely screw up the culture of a group.

I just think corporate law is shit work (can't speak for lit) and i'm pretty upfront about it. Which is why I will not be a lawyer for much longer. I have a lot of friends that work in these places, some can handle it, some can't and some actually like it. The ones that can't handle it, which is the majority, have found no refuge in lateraling around and are just looking forward to resigning from the profession when they can.

Oh totally. And this is largely why I PREACH practicing in SoCal. Not very office is mellow, but there are certainly a shit ton more mellow offices here than in NY/DC/SF/Boise/SV/CH

orangecup

Bronze

Postby orangecup » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:44 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:

Don't disagree with this. Was generally talking about the NYC work culture, which is pretty god damn toxic (and not limited to law either). Way too much focus on work/career as being important. Also think that generally the work done at large firms is useless and zero value add to society.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:50 pm

orangecup wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
Also think that generally the work done at large firms is useless and zero value add to society.

Oh hokay buddy. I don't have the energy to address this (if the deals that I worked on did not get done, more people than necessary would have lost their jobs, banks would have folded, companies would not have grown and added jobs, and some other stuff). And I hate to go the ad hominem route, but you just sound like a grumpy pants.

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:58 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
Also think that generally the work done at large firms is useless and zero value add to society.

Oh hokay buddy. I don't have the energy to address this (if the deals that I worked on did not get done, more people than necessary would have lost their jobs, banks would have folded, companies would not have grown and added jobs, and some other stuff). And I hate to go the ad hominem route, but you just sound like a grumpy pants.

You could say the same for the IT people. If the IT people did not keep the systems running banks would fold too. U are of the same value to society as IT people.

MKC

Diamond

Postby MKC » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
orangecup wrote:

You could say the same for the IT people. If the IT people did not keep the systems running banks would fold too. U are of the same value to society as IT people.

IT people are pretty fucking valuable.

Return to “Legal Employment�