What should I do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:49 pm

Struck out at OCI. I had three biglaw CBs; it's been almost a month, and I've gotten one ding and complete silence from the other two. As a result of mass mailing, I have three offers and also some pending screeners from small firms, so I'm not going to be living under a bridge or anything at least. However, I'm not sure what I should do. All three of the firms that offered do split summers, so that could easily be worked out. Should I just go ahead and accept two and count my blessings that I will be employed, or should I wait and see what else turns up? (FYI- borderline top third at UT/Vandy/UCLA)

I have also applied for DoJ SLIP, and they won't be notifying people of interviews for a couple of weeks. If I get a SLIP offer, depending on the component, I would be very tempted to accept it over a small firm offer.

I have had no contact yet with any of the firms in response to the offers. (All three offered within the last 48 hours). Should I first make sure about their time frames for acceptance, and then just ride it out and see what happens in the meantime? I feel like I'm not really in a position to be turning down offers of any kind, but then again, after getting three in 48 hours, I'm wondering if maybe I'm in a better position than I realized.

User avatar
trebekismyhero
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: What should I do?

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:29 pm

If you just got the offers within the last 48 hours you can wait a little while before making a decision. Did those firms tell you that you needed to make a decision right now? Figure out timeframe. They shouldn't make you decide right now.

Obviously it would be crazy to turn down offers for nothing, but if there isn't a rush, just wait a little longer and see about SLIP and your CBs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: What should I do?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:If you just got the offers within the last 48 hours you can wait a little while before making a decision. Did those firms tell you that you needed to make a decision right now? Figure out timeframe. They shouldn't make you decide right now.

Obviously it would be crazy to turn down offers for nothing, but if there isn't a rush, just wait a little longer and see about SLIP and your CBs.


One firm just said they would need to know "sometime in early Oct," another said "take your time to consider," and the third offered at the end of a phone screener this morning, and I was so shocked that I can't remember what (if anything) was said about timing.

By early Oct, I should know if I'm getting a SLIP interview. The firms range in size from 35-80 attorneys and all are non-NALP - wondering if it would be ok to ask for the NALP time frame. Of course, if I get a SLIP interview that will complicate things further.

If I email and ask them to specify a more exact timeframe, would it be a good time to ask about pay?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.