Rescinding an acceptance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Rescinding an acceptance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Got an offer at my dream firm which is a V10. Accepted an offer at firm that pays market but is not ranked. How bad would it be to rescind the acceptance and take the other offer, and what kind of consequences am I looking at?

RaceJudicata

Re: Rescinding an acceptance

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 pm

There is a slight risk that V10 could find out and rescind offer. That said, it is probably rare. The firm you have accepted an offer at would shit can you in a heartbeat if necessary, so I say go for it.

SmokeytheBear

Postby SmokeytheBear » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Technically it's against NALP rules. And your school's career office will tell you that you are going to burn in hell for doing it.

Really you're burning bridges at the firm that you are rescinding and charring bridges with people at the career office. It looks bad-ish for your school, which will piss off your CDO and make them tell you that it is worse than it actually is. But they are looking more so out for their interests than yours in this scenario.

In other words, it's not a great thing to rescind, but it happens often enough. Do it. Congrats.

NoLongerALurker

Postby NoLongerALurker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 pm

I know a guy who did this with a clerkship (huge no-no). Career office went apeshit on him for a couple days but otherwise his life has been A-OK and he got everything he wanted. If doing this to a federal judge works out, hard to imagine it being the end of the world to do to a firm.

unlicensedpotato

Postby unlicensedpotato » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:38 pm

If the V10 is your dream job OP, take it and don't look back. This is a no-brainer in my opinion.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 pm

On career service note - i wouldn't tell them where u are going when they ask. Also, come up with some viable reason just to shut them up (e.g., different market, different practice group, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 pm

If it somehow got back to the firm, could they withdraw the offer? , or do these types of firms get business and will they care
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:43 pm

Edit-mistake response

Return to “Legal Employment”