WilmerHale NY over SF firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

WilmerHale NY over SF firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:05 am

Would love some advice. Although I largely targeted SF firms during OCI, I threw in a screener at WilmerHale NY-- and ended up loving it and the people I met on my callback. It seems like the NYC office is more humane than other NY-based biglaw places-- people seem happier, the work hours aren't insane, I genuinely liked a lot of the associates/partners I met. I'm set on litigation and want to try out white-collar work and their NYC office seems fabulous for that. Unfortunately I go somewhere WH doesn't tend to recruit from so I know very few people who actually summered/worked there other than the folks I met on my callback-- who were all great but clearly they're not going to put you in front of someone who's actively miserable. So, wise folks of TLS-- is it a dumb decision to choose WH over the SF offers I have? (OMM and MoFo are the two I'm most seriously considering). Is there anything I'm missing about the firm's reputation or their general treatment of associates?

dabigchina

Silver

Re: WilmerHale NY over SF firms?

Postby dabigchina » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:25 pm

So you wanted to work in SF, but wilmerhale managed to change your mind by being nice to you during your call back.

Go with mofo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Ex Wilmer Hale D.C. Associate who spent some time working with the New York people. Good people and great office with top notch white collar, sec/finra investigations/regulatory type work. Tons of ex Ausas and pretty diverse. I don't think they do much commercial litigation or corporate work. Wilmerhale has one of the best revolving doors with the federal government, so if that is your exit plan, wilmerhale NYC would be better than anyone in San Fran.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:46 pm

dabigchina wrote:So you wanted to work in SF, but wilmerhale managed to change your mind by being nice to you during your call back.

Go with mofo.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ex Wilmer Hale D.C. Associate who spent some time working with the New York people. Good people and great office with top notch white collar, sec/finra investigations/regulatory type work. Tons of ex Ausas and pretty diverse. I don't think they do much commercial litigation or corporate work. Wilmerhale has one of the best revolving doors with the federal government, so if that is your exit plan, wilmerhale NYC would be better than anyone in San Fran.

Wilmerhale NYC isn't even ranked in Chambers for white collar or general lit. I don't pretend to know much about litigation, but that tells me it isn't going to be "better than anyone in sf".

Granted I looked this up in the gym so feel free to correct me

runinthefront

Gold

Post removed...

Postby runinthefront » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Post removed...

Return to “Legal Employment�