Shitlaw to Biglaw Transition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Shitlaw to Biglaw Transition

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:51 am

so i'm not sure how this works and need some general advice. how can someone transition from shitlaw to biglaw? i wish i knew about tls when applying to law school but missed the bus there. ended up going to a t50 school with grades in top 1/3rd. working in shitlaw at the moment. what kind of experience should i be obtaining (i.e. taking depositions, arguing motions, clerkships) to improve my marketability?

Magic Hat

Bronze

Re: Shitlaw to Biglaw Transition

Postby Magic Hat » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:18 am

Find shit law doing residential real estate transactions with at least a third of the deals you repping the bank. Two years later lateral up to smaller mid law doing small deal commercial lending (these people are always so desperate for associates with transactional experience). A few years later go to mid law and do bigger commercial lending. After a few more years pray that a random v100 firm is looking for a real estate associate AND the economy hasn't crashed and real estate is still hot.

I've seen it happen more than few times between late 2013 and present.

Return to “Legal Employment�