Should I be concerned about my job security?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I be concerned about my job security?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi all,

I am a two year associate working at a small firm. I moved from a decent sized well established firm in Las Vegas (25 attorneys) to a small firm (10-12) last September. There were many reasons for my move but the main one was to get more experience and responsibility. My current firm had just expanded to Las Vegas in 2015. There was a partner in Vegas and one associate who was hired last January. The other associate has 20 years of experience and practiced insurance defense.

I was hired to do half subrogation (Plaintiff's) and half insurance defense. I am the only subro attorney in the Las Vegas office. The firm does mainly subro work however there are a few partners and associates who only do insurance defense. So far I have settled over 500k and have made my insurance defense hours. Not sure how my settlements compare with the other attorneys but it sounds like it is pretty good considering I do it part time basically.

This morning, the other associate was let go. She informed me that a major client left and that is why she is gone. She told me she didn't think my job was in jeopardy because I cost less and I do both subro and defense. I spoke with the partner in my office and he said my job is safe. The partner is not one of the original partners and isn't really involved in decisions such as hiring, firing or salary.

I have a couple good connections in town (partners at other firms) who have told me I could go to their firms if I was looking to make the jump.

Seeking advice on what I should do. The firing of the other associate was sudden and unexpected (at least for me). I honestly thought I would be seen as less valuable than her.

Return to “Legal Employment�