Which DE firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm would you choose?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:02 pm

Young Conaway
12%
Richards Layton
81%
Potter Anderson
8%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

Which DE firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Before you ask, I'm going back to Dewey bc family, boyfriend, friends, actually liked growing up there. Now I'm just deciding on firm, and would appreciate your help.

Eliminated MNAT and Skadden (sort of). Had a screener with MNAT and they haven't gotten back to me... which is strange, but I'm assuming they are out. No interest at all in satellite office with zero chance at making partner.

Thanks in advance!

eastcoast_iub

Bronze

Re: Which DE firm?

Postby eastcoast_iub » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:51 pm

RLF has best name recognition of any local DE firm. Enjoy beautiful Wilmington.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Worked at RLF this summer as a SA. Great time; everyone is very nice and welcoming, and the firm has a good environment overall. Associates say hours can be long but thats true anywhere

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:03 pm

DE "BIG 4" RANKINGS: (1) RLF/MNAT (3) YC (4) PA

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DE "BIG 4" RANKINGS: (1) RLF/MNAT (3) YC (4) PA

YCST probably has the coolest office though.

RLF is the biggest name of your options and I'd mostly agree with the list above (maybe more (1) RLF/MNAT (2) YC/PA), but I've heard the hours are most brutal at RLF (and MNAT). That said, the difference in hours depends on practice group/partners so that's hard to predict, plus the difference is likely marginal. RLF is the largest firm in DE I believe.

Use the search function to find some good threads on DE firms/life.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Potter will randomly no-offer summers with no warning. Try to keep them off your list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:57 pm

OP here. So... RLF seems like the consensus... but it was the one I liked least out of all my visits. Are they really that much better?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:Potter will randomly no-offer summers with no warning. Try to keep them off your list.

Where have you heard this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Confirmed on Potter, at least a few years back. Summer 2012 they offered 4 of 7, which is why I rejected them. Don't know if it's a pattern.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Slytherpuff wrote:Potter will randomly no-offer summers with no warning. Try to keep them off your list.

From a friend who was screwed over and no-offered by them with no indication that their performance was ever unsatisfactory.

Edit: This was pretty recently and it seems to be a pattern for them

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. So... RLF seems like the consensus here... but it was the one I liked least out of all my visits. Are they really that much better?

Why did you like it least?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:13 pm

AT9 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. So... RLF seems like the consensus here... but it was the one I liked least out of all my visits. Are they really that much better?

Office felt stuffy, they had associates sharing offices because they don't have enough space, associates talked about how they can't really (and aren't encouraged) remote-in to the office because systems are not good.

Contrast that with Potter/YCST, where everyone was really happy/spaces looked nice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From a friend who was screwed over and no-offered by them with no indication that their performance was ever unsatisfactory.

Edit: This was pretty recently and it seems to be a pattern for them

NALP does show they no-offered one person last year. Hm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AT9 wrote:

Office felt stuffy, they had associates sharing offices because they don't have enough space, associates talked about how they can't really (and aren't encouraged) remote-in to the office because systems are not good.

Contrast that with Potter/YCST, where everyone was really happy/spaces looked nice.

FWIW, those associates are no longer sharing an office. Not sure who told you the remote-in part, as it depends on the group and the system is fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 pm

Among the homegrown DE firms, there is a divide between RLF/MNAT and YC/PA. The former have the better reputation, name recognition, clients, and exit opportunities. Given your scenario, I'd go with RLF.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
AT9 wrote:

FWIW, those associates are no longer sharing an office. Not sure who told you the remote-in part, as it depends on the group and the system is fine.

Seems like you're at RLF. What's compensation look like past year one? Saw on NALP they are lock-step.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
AT9 wrote:

recent RLF SA here... Office was not stuffy and I saw no doubling-up of offices.. Office is clean, and all SAs got offices

EzraFitz

Silver

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:40 pm

PA did in fact no offer at least one last year. Also, FWIW Skadden made a partner out of the DE office over the summer. I've gotten the general impression from those I know that RLF folks definitely spend the most time in the office itself of the Big 4. Whether that translates to more work, idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 am

RLF has the best reputation but terrible hours. PA/YCST have the best environments (also YCST's office is gorgeous inside). Can't say anything for MNAT, dinged at OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment�