State Supreme Court for AUSA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State Supreme Court for AUSA?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:26 am

I am considering applying for a state supreme court clerkship following my federal district court clerkship. After my clerkship(s) I'm joining a BigLaw firm in the city where I hope to end up.

Does anyone have insight or thoughts on how USAOs might view a state supreme court clerkship in AUSA hiring? As long as it doesn't actively hurt my chances, I'd really like to apply (for non-career related personal reasons). I'm also wondering whether the state supreme court clerkship would be seen as an extra year of experience or if would be seen as a wasted year even if it doesn't hurt per se.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: State Supreme Court for AUSA?

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:13 pm

I can't say whether it will hurt, but in big city USAOs I can say with some confidence that it definitely won't help. Even if you clerk for Krueger, Liu, or Cuellar, what's really helping is stellar credentials.

The only way I can see it helping is if the SSC justice is plugged in to the USAO in some manner. But from the perspective of a hiring committee, I strongly doubt it will help at all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks, that is what I assumed. I wouldn't apply with the expectation that it would help, I'm just concerned it would harm my chances (or put me at a disadvantage relative to people who spent an extra year at a firm).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Yeah, I don't think it's going to hurt you, and as one more year of experience it would put you at a higher salary if you got hired. It won't really give you experience that will make you a more desirable candidate and so it could delay getting an AUSA gig, in that you might need more practice experience to be competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:01 pm

It might help in DC b/c the DC AUSA office prosecutes state crimes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:35 pm

In my small office, many AUSAs handle their own appeals. I could see a SSC clerkship counting as a very small plus in our office. A bigger plus would probably be significant federal criminal experience during your district court clerkship. Have you been able to, or do you know if you will have the chance to, work on criminal stuff for your judge?

Return to “Legal Employment�