Honors - Does it matter?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Honors - Does it matter?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm a 2L at a T14, with a V100 SA in a non-NYC market next summer. My GPA is 3.3+, closer to 3.4 actually. There is no way for me to graduate with magna, unless I somehow get all As for the next 2 years. My most realistic goal is cum laude, which requires an average of 3.7+ for the remaining credits. I can take easy seminars to game this a little bit, but I know I still need to work my ass off the next two years if that's the goal. Personally I enjoy taking doctrinal classes (with harsher curves), which are more relevant to the practice areas I'm interested in.

So the question is: Does graduation with honors matter down the road? I know law is a prestige-driven field, but at which point will my GPA/honors stop being a measurement of my ability? Once I become a SA (then a junior associate), will not-graduating-with-honors become a negative factor in career advancement, or is it mainly about how well I do the job?

I have no desire to clerk. I'm honestly not sure about my career goal: maybe last long enough in Big Law to be a senior attorney/counsel (it's good to be a partner, but my husband makes $150K+ in his non-legal job, so I find no reason to gun for partnership), maybe in-house when the right opportunity comes, but I currently have no intention to go to mid-law and small firms.

Return to “Legal Employment�