Pillsbury DC v. Venable D.C.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Pillsbury or Venable

Pillsbury
28%
Venable
72%

Total votes: 29

Anonymous User

Pillsbury DC v. Venable D.C.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi all ! I have offers from both of these firms and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'm interested in lit specifically white collar but also want to try out international trade and possibly some corporate work (project finance specifically).

Pros on Venable- I loved the people at Venable at all my interviews and also my second look, I honestly feel like I would fit in there the most . They are strong enough in all the practice groups that I'm interested in . Seems to be financially healthy firm. Great new glass offices, truly stunning and Juniors do not have to share offices.

Cons - not lock step, they are for the first 3 years but then they drift off into some kind of merit system that I don't quite feel confident about, it's likely you can make below market. The bonuses are also below market. Another con - I feel like they specialize too early . You get put into a specific group instead of just "general lit" for example to try out different things for a few years . Another con which I don't know how important it is to weigh, they are largely a regional firm with no international presence or work for the most part and that's something I'd really like to get exposure to, especially if I decide I do like project finance I would like to work with emerging markets.

Has anyone worked at Venable or know of people who can speak to whether they would pick the firm again.

Pros on Pillsbury-- also really liked the people although I feel like I would fit in more at Venable , but none the less they were great! They are lockstep, and they have a few international offices. Also have all the practice areas I'm interested in, in addition your not expected to specialize as early , compared to Venable.

Cons- their corporate group is not much to talk about, talks of the firm not being very healthy financially.

(I still neeed to do a second look at pillsbury to learn more but so far that's all I've got)

Could you guys vote on either firm based on what I've expressed and if you have any insight as to the prestige of either firm and which would have the better exit options. Either government or in house. And any other variable that you think I should consider, general andecdotal data etc.

Thanks so much

Anonymous User

Re: Pillsbury DC v. Venable D.C.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Sorry I don't have much info, but when were your cbs and offer dates for each firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Former Venable associate here: You're right, the compensation for years 4 and up is definitely not market. I don't know anyone who is getting market under the new pay scale, although it's possible there were a few rock stars who are. Obviously it's hard to know if you're going to be there long enough for that to matter - by the time I was a 3rd/4th year half of my summer class had left to go into government/in house.

Venable seems to place pretty well in the government, and tends to be pretty welcoming when people want to come back after a stint in house/in government.

The bonus thing is also not great, unless you bill a ton of hours - if you're a first year billing like, 2400 hours then you'll probably make out better than you would at another firm, but I think that's pretty rare.

Last I heard the firm has no intentions to expand internationally. I do think Venable has a decent international trade group, and I wouldn't count them out over not having international offices. If I was choosing between Venable and Pillsbury I would definitely go with Venable, and then re-evaluate your pay after a couple of years. By the time you're a 4th year it'll be what, 2023? Who knows what the landscape is going to be at that point.

I don't know much about Pillbury, but as a former Venable associate I was happy with my choice to go there, and if I was choosing again I would make the same decision to start my career there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:07 pm

I was a summer at Venable and loved it. Never heard anything about Pillsbury to comment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 pm

go with your gut feeling

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks all for your insights! Very helpful. Does anyone have an opinion on Pillsbury -those who voted yes in the poll , can you elaborate ? Or any more input on why Venable? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former Venable associate here: You're right, the compensation for years 4 and up is definitely not market. I don't know anyone who is getting market under the new pay scale, although it's possible there were a few rock stars who are. Obviously it's hard to know if you're going to be there long enough for that to matter - by the time I was a 3rd/4th year half of my summer class had left to go into government/in house.

Venable seems to place pretty well in the government, and tends to be pretty welcoming when people want to come back after a stint in house/in government.

The bonus thing is also not great, unless you bill a ton of hours - if you're a first year billing like, 2400 hours then you'll probably make out better than you would at another firm, but I think that's pretty rare.

Last I heard the firm has no intentions to expand internationally. I do think Venable has a decent international trade group, and I wouldn't count them out over not having international offices. If I was choosing between Venable and Pillsbury I would definitely go with Venable, and then re-evaluate your pay after a couple of years. By the time you're a 4th year it'll be what, 2023? Who knows what the landscape is going to be at that point.

I don't know much about Pillbury, but as a former Venable associate I was happy with my choice to go there, and if I was choosing again I would make the same decision to start my career there.

Thanks so much for sharing ! Can I ask what work you were doing at Venable while you were there , why you left and what your doing now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Former Venable associate here: You're right, the compensation for years 4 and up is definitely not market. I don't know anyone who is getting market under the new pay scale, although it's possible there were a few rock stars who are. Obviously it's hard to know if you're going to be there long enough for that to matter - by the time I was a 3rd/4th year half of my summer class had left to go into government/in house.

Thanks so much for sharing ! Can I ask what work you were doing at Venable while you were there , why you left and what your doing now?

I lateraled to another firm - the gap in pay for mid-levels/seniors at Venable vs. the market got to be too much, and there were other reasons as well that didn't have to do with the firm itself but with the long-term prospects in my practice area specifically (it was a very small practice group, and I wasn't getting access to a couple of types of projects that I wanted to get more experience in).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all ! I have offers from both of these firms and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I'm interested in lit specifically white collar but also want to try out international trade and possibly some corporate work (project finance specifically).

Pros on Venable- I loved the people at Venable at all my interviews and also my second look, I honestly feel like I would fit in there the most . They are strong enough in all the practice groups that I'm interested in . Seems to be financially healthy firm. Great new glass offices, truly stunning and Juniors do not have to share offices.

Cons - not lock step, they are for the first 3 years but then they drift off into some kind of merit system that I don't quite feel confident about, it's likely you can make below market. The bonuses are also below market. Another con - I feel like they specialize too early . You get put into a specific group instead of just "general lit" for example to try out different things for a few years . Another con which I don't know how important it is to weigh, they are largely a regional firm with no international presence or work for the most part and that's something I'd really like to get exposure to, especially if I decide I do like project finance I would like to work with emerging markets.

Has anyone worked at Venable or know of people who can speak to whether they would pick the firm again.

Pros on Pillsbury-- also really liked the people although I feel like I would fit in more at Venable , but none the less they were great! They are lockstep, and they have a few international offices. Also have all the practice areas I'm interested in, in addition your not expected to specialize as early , compared to Venable.

Cons- their corporate group is not much to talk about, talks of the firm not being very healthy financially.

(I still neeed to do a second look at pillsbury to learn more but so far that's all I've got)

Could you guys vote on either firm based on what I've expressed and if you have any insight as to the prestige of either firm and which would have the better exit options. Either government or in house. And any other variable that you think I should consider, general andecdotal data etc.

Thanks so much

Summer at Venable this past summer. Loved it. International trade just got a new partner whose amazing. Summers all had a big project with him. White Collar is a small practice group meaning it will prob be harder to get in there.

Overall love the people and the atmosphere. New offices are sweet and the cafe has great (and I think subsidized) food. Also, what firm can top summer bocce tournaments?

Don't know anything about Pillsbury to comment. Also not an associate there yet to comment on salary issues.

Return to “Legal Employment�