Seward & Kissel Offer News?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Seward & Kissel Offer News?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Does anyone know of someone receiving a Seward & Kissel offer from the NY office? From past threads it looks like they generally extend offers later than other firms do. Would love to know if there has been any movement at all...

Anonymous User

Re: Seward & Kissel Offer News?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of someone receiving a Seward & Kissel offer from the NY office? From past threads it looks like they generally extend offers later than other firms do. Would love to know if there has been any movement at all...

Not sure about offers for next summer but they recently laid off half their first-year class. I'd stay away.

Edit: Anon because I know this from someone personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:45 pm

I had a callback two weeks ago and haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of someone receiving a Seward & Kissel offer from the NY office? From past threads it looks like they generally extend offers later than other firms do. Would love to know if there has been any movement at all...

Not sure about offers for next summer but they recently laid off half their first-year class. I'd stay away.

Really?? They're my top choice so it would be great if anyone could provide some more information on this. I've heard from SAs that their summer class size has remained constant for the past 6 years with a 100% summer offer-acceptance rate. If they were going to lay off first years you would think they would decrease their class size...

To anon: Is your contact on TLS? I would be really grateful if I could PM them.

smith2017

New

Postby smith2017 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Original anon here. Anyone with information, please PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Had an offer here which I declined

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had an offer here which I declined

Mind me asking when your interview was? And when you received the offer? I know my school was on the latter half of the schedule.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:55 am

Any additional info on layoffs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Really?? They're my top choice so it would be great if anyone could provide some more information on this. I've heard from SAs that their summer class size has remained constant for the past 6 years with a 100% summer offer-acceptance rate. If they were going to lay off first years you would think they would decrease their class size...

I'm the anon quoted. Contact is not on TLS. S/he is a personal friend. And yes, their summer class size has remained the same which makes no sense considering they just laid off 5/10 first years. Clearly they either (1) are terrible at gauging their business and/or (2) have zero regard for their associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the anon quoted. Contact is not on TLS. S/he is a personal friend. And yes, their summer class size has remained the same which makes no sense considering they just laid off 5/10 first years. Clearly they either (1) are terrible at gauging their business and/or (2) have zero regard for their associates.

There is no chance they laid off 5/10 first years from a class that looks like it is typically between 10-15. That literally makes no sense. Your source is probably misinformed or exaggerating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There is no chance they laid off 5/10 first years from a class that looks like it is typically between 10-15. That literally makes no sense. Your source is probably misinformed or exaggerating.

I was told it was close to half. Take that for what you will.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Do you know when the layoffs took place? All associates that started in 2016 are still listed on firm website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:07 pm

their summer class size has remained the same which makes no sense considering they just laid off 5/10 first years. Clearly they either (1) are terrible at gauging their business and/or (2) have zero regard for their associates.

Don't layoffs usually happen after performance reviews? It's strange that you would hear of so many layoffs happening very recently. Also considering its strength and longstanding reputation built up in particular practice areas, I doubt the firm is "terrible at gauging their business."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
their summer class size has remained the same which makes no sense considering they just laid off 5/10 first years. Clearly they either (1) are terrible at gauging their business and/or (2) have zero regard for their associates.

Don't layoffs usually happen after performance reviews? It's strange that you would hear of so many layoffs happening very recently. Also considering its strength and longstanding reputation built up in particular practice areas, I doubt the firm is "terrible at gauging their business."

Strange that a firm can supposedly lay off half their first year class and Above the Law wouldn't be all over that. Sounds fishy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Curios as to why they would be your top choice....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Strange that a firm can supposedly lay off half their first year class and Above the Law wouldn't be all over that. Sounds fishy.

EnviroNerd

New

Postby EnviroNerd » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 am

email ding yesterday evening

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:51 pm

can confirm the seward layoff news.

Return to “Legal Employment�