After the Rejection

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
meshoema

New

After the Rejection

Postby meshoema » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:11 pm

Is it appropriate to ask why you might have been rejected after a screening interview? Is apprpriate to ask how I might improve for next time? Can anyone give advice as to what to do next?

njkga

Bronze

Re: After the Rejection

Postby njkga » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:25 pm

This has been asked before, but no, it's not appropriate.

If you want to get feedback on your interview skills, you should see career services at your school. I'd be surprised if they don't do mock interviews and then give you feedback, I think that's a pretty common service at most schools' career services offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Also, the recruiter probably won't even give you any real answers. ''It was a difficult decision... very competitive...'' etc. They aren't going to say anything meaningful like "some people thought you were arrogant"

meshoema

New

Postby meshoema » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, the recruiter probably won't even give you any real answers. ''It was a difficult decision... very competitive...'' etc. They aren't going to say anything meaningful like "some people thought you were arrogant"

Thanks for the feedback. I'm only a 2L and was wondering if it is even worth it to reply to the rejection email since the firm also interviewed 3Ls. That way I might be able to apply again next year and know what to do differently. I was told the interview went well and I had the right credentials but they did not have enough spots. I guess I will just move on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Our Career Services said that it generally isn't worth it to inquire, unless you felt an unusually strong connection with the firm and interviewers. You could phrase an email along the lines of "Thank you for the opportunity. I particularly enjoyed visiting your firm and connecting with the attorneys that I interviewed with. I realize that the firm has to make difficult decisions about its candidates. If possible, I was wondering if I could receive some feedback about my interview process."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:23 am

I reached out to few places where I felt really strong connection. In one, I got an evasive answer. The other two gave me an honest answer that I have a conflict of interest with one of their clients. I'm glad that I asked. First of all, it restored my confidence after four straight rejections and secondly, now I can reach out to my connections to see if they have any solutions.

Return to “Legal Employment�