Keeping track of assignments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Keeping track of assignments

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 pm

What do you guys use to keep track of all your assignments/clients when you have so much to be on top of?

I tried using OneNote/Word document but it doesn't seem very efficient.

Heard of Trello but any other suggestions?

merde_happens

New

Re: Keeping track of assignments

Post by merde_happens » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:56 pm

White board matrix and daily to-do emails at the end of the day (for the following day). Keeping my email inbox cleaned up to only those with action items helps as well.
Last edited by merde_happens on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:24 pm

I just use sticky notes these days but most times my assignments are like a handful of long briefs to write rather than like 100 moving parts.
Whiteboards are good
If you wanna use apps maybe try some free project mgmt ones for yourself? Ive dabbled in trello before and its ok

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:29 pm

I just used the Task list on outlook since I have outlook open all day anyhow

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I just get in the office and think of all my cases and what I have to do for the day. Not the best method, but usually works for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:42 pm

I just get in the office and think of all my cases and what I have to do for the day. Not the best method, but usually works for me.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Use outlook as task list. Folder emails only you have completed the task.

Also, yellowpad.

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:24 pm

RaceJudicata wrote: Also, yellowpad.
+1

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 pm

end of day i write every assignment down and put its due date on a notepad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:39 pm

I have so many problems with this also.. I usually just write things down on a pad but then it gets jumbled and confusing..
I used Trello for bar prep to keep track of assignments and loved it. It was weird at first but once you get the hang of it, it was super rad, at least for me.
I need to get a planner I think and just kick it old school, or use your computer/smart phone to set reminders. I use my note pad app or whatever its called a lot and take screen shots that I can look at later, but calendars or apps with deadline reminders are probably way better

eta: my apt is also covered in white boards

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 pm

I have approximately 147 open or active matters, so...abject panic keeps it all alive for me.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:25 pm

This is probably an idiotic and ancillary question dealing with conflict checks, but I dealt with it in applying for jobs, so I'm curious:

How do you actually keep track of clients you've represented or done work for in the long-term? I was filling out conflict clearance forms and struggled with my limited summer experience as a law student (even though there wasn't going to be any conflict realistically). Over several years as an associate, I can't even imagine keeping track of the clients you represent or were adverse on.

Sorry for hijacking, but this seems directly relevant to what the OP was asking.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 pm

It depends on how your firm is organized and who you represent. I can generally say I'd be conflicted out from being adverse to a few REITs on most matters (for example), but there could be specific exceptions that wouldn't affect me. In general, though, I just try and keep track of clients. No real way to keep track of matters - that 147 open matters number isn't an exaggeration.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:31 pm

UVA2B wrote:This is probably an idiotic and ancillary question dealing with conflict checks, but I dealt with it in applying for jobs, so I'm curious:

How do you actually keep track of clients you've represented or done work for in the long-term? I was filling out conflict clearance forms and struggled with my limited summer experience as a law student (even though there wasn't going to be any conflict realistically). Over several years as an associate, I can't even imagine keeping track of the clients you represent or were adverse on.

Sorry for hijacking, but this seems directly relevant to what the OP was asking.
Most big firms can print out a list of your prior representations, as needed, based on your billing codes.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 pm

UVA2B wrote:This is probably an idiotic and ancillary question dealing with conflict checks, but I dealt with it in applying for jobs, so I'm curious:

Much easier as an actual associate. Can just pull from the billing software every matter you have billed time to.

ETA: may be some stuff that you didn't bill to or whatever, but for the vast majority, you can figure it out this way.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Thanks folks! I figured there was an easier way of tracking clients/adverse, but it was a weird feeling trying to remember every minuscule SA assignment I was given in a summer.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm

I just make to do lists in outlook (draft emails), and I periodically update them throughout the day. I usually take notes from partners on assignments directly into the email. It's occasionally jumbled but usually works pretty well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”