Fired bc employer found out I was applying elsewhere. What to do.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fired bc employer found out I was applying elsewhere. What to do.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 am

Magic Hat wrote:It sounds like there is more to the story here.

You mentioned the mid sized firm's rescision was harsh. How so?

Just the tone of the rescision was not the most sympathetic. There really isnt a whole lot more. Former employer just super mad I didnt tell him about interviewing thus the termination and unemployment ... sadness

Magic Hat

Bronze

Postby Magic Hat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Just the tone of the rescision was not the most sympathetic. There really isnt a whole lot more. Former employer just super mad I didnt tell him about interviewing thus the termination and unemployment ... sadness

They didn't offer any reason whatsoever? That is extremely odd. Did you reach out to the partner who offered you the job?

In any event, between the unauthorized contact to your current (former) firm and the unprofessional manner in which they have dealt with you, this does not seem like the kind of place you want to work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:57 am

Magic Hat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They didn't offer any reason whatsoever? That is extremely odd. Did you reach out to the partner who offered you the job?

In any event, between the unauthorized contact to your current (former) firm and the unprofessional manner in which they have dealt with you, this does not seem like the kind of place you want to work.

I haven't talked with the partner at all. The email that was suggested to send by the great folks here was also sent to HR. HR contacted me about the rescission and they would not offer a reason. The partners I interviewed with were wonderful.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:48 pm

So, an update today. My paralegal called me today and told me that my boss was hurt that I didnt talk to him first before I started interviewing at other firms (as if I have some sort of duty to do so). And that my termination was based on the fact that I misrepresented where I was going when I would take time off to go to an interview. He said he knew about all the interviews I had gone on. I dont see how that would even be possible.

Would it even be viable to talk to my former boss and just try to see if he won't bad mouth me anymore? Or would be hiring a LE attorney be the only way.

Were you using your work e-mail to apply or otherwise talk to these other firms? Depending on how connected your boss is in the area it's pretty easy for information to get around....

I think it's viable to talk, but I don't know if it'll go much anywhere without kind of the implicit threat of a LE attorney behind you. Your boss already fucked one offer up.

Anyway, HR has your e-mail, and probably by now a phone call from you, so I would just move on and apply to other stuff. Best case scenario they're talking to the hiring partner/recruiting committee/whomever about your situation and it'll still take a little while before they get back to you. Worst case scenario they won't follow up or change their decision.

Magic Hat

Bronze

Postby Magic Hat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 pm

If it's your boss' feelings that were hurt just call the guy and apologize. Maybe you can parlay it into a raise.

cslee5090

New

Postby cslee5090 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm gonna talk with my former boss later after the dust settles (maybe a few days) and try to salvage the relationship so it doesnt get any worse.

I got an interview for friday! Should I disclose that I've been terminated? Or just let it go... Regardless it is a breath of fresh air.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:54 pm

lolwat wrote:
So, an update today. My paralegal called me today and told me that my boss was hurt that I didnt talk to him first before I started interviewing at other firms (as if I have some sort of duty to do so). And that my termination was based on the fact that I misrepresented where I was going when I would take time off to go to an interview. He said he knew about all the interviews I had gone on. I dont see how that would even be possible.

Would it even be viable to talk to my former boss and just try to see if he won't bad mouth me anymore? Or would be hiring a LE attorney be the only way.

Were you using your work e-mail to apply or otherwise talk to these other firms? Depending on how connected your boss is in the area it's pretty easy for information to get around....

I think it's viable to talk, but I don't know if it'll go much anywhere without kind of the implicit threat of a LE attorney behind you. Your boss already fucked one offer up.

Anyway, HR has your e-mail, and probably by now a phone call from you, so I would just move on and apply to other stuff. Best case scenario they're talking to the hiring partner/recruiting committee/whomever about your situation and it'll still take a little while before they get back to you. Worst case scenario they won't follow up or change their decision.

I didnt use my work email for that purpose, but I do leave my computer on with my emails open (personal included). I am thinking more now that he probably went on my computer.

Magic Hat

Bronze

Postby Magic Hat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

cslee5090 wrote:I'm gonna talk with my former boss later after the dust settles (maybe a few days) and try to salvage the relationship so it doesnt get any worse.

I got an interview for friday! Should I disclose that I've been terminated? Or just let it go... Regardless it is a breath of fresh air.

Call him now and find out if he will say you are still employed.

Magic Hat

Bronze

Postby Magic Hat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lolwat wrote:

I didnt use my work email for that purpose, but I do leave my computer on with my emails open (personal included). I am thinking more now that he probably went on my computer.

How does that explain the new firm's rescision?

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Magic Hat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didnt use my work email for that purpose, but I do leave my computer on with my emails open (personal included). I am thinking more now that he probably went on my computer.

How does that explain the new firm's rescision?

It doesn't, but OP was just responding to my question, which was directed at his concern as to how it's even possible that his former boss knew about the interviews he went on.

I'm gonna talk with my former boss later after the dust settles (maybe a few days) and try to salvage the relationship so it doesnt get any worse.

You don't disclose that kind of stuff unless you're asked directly. But there's probably better ways to answer such a question -- I'd let someone else tell you how to do so, since I don't know. Congratulations on the interview, by the way. Hopefully you can just get a whole new job and walk away from all of this bullshit that's just happened to you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Magic Hat wrote:
cslee5090 wrote:I'm gonna talk with my former boss later after the dust settles (maybe a few days) and try to salvage the relationship so it doesnt get any worse.

I have hesitation against doing this... any call to my boss at the moment doesnt seem like it will yield much positive...

anon sequitur

Silver

Postby anon sequitur » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:01 pm

the bit about old boss knowing about all your interviews is probably just bullshit, dude sounds like he has control issues and telling you he knew all along is a way to reassert control.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Magic Hat wrote:

I have hesitation against doing this... any call to my boss at the moment doesnt seem like it will yield much positive...

Well since you have an interview this week, don't you need to know whether or not he's going to try and torpedo this opportunity (assuming he torpedoed the other one, which seems possible/even likely)? And if this is really about hurt feelings/ego, better to address that sooner rather than later if you can. I don't know that a call will solve all your problems, either, but you don't really have the luxury of tiptoeing around this issue from the sound of things, unfortunately. Record the call just in case.

Good luck on the interview though; you don't have to say you were fired unless asked. I'm not an L&E attorney but I imagine you may want to ask your L&E attorney (if you're going that route) what you should/shouldn't be telling people about your situation (both because they'll probably have a lot of experience with people in this position and because there may be some things you just shouldn't tell someone in case you end up wanting to move your case further than angry letters).

cslee5090

New

Postby cslee5090 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm hoping they just dont ask about employment status and just ask me about what I do, at which point I just act like I am still employed.

I just got off the phone with an L&E lawyer who essentially told me the laws of my state hold that an employer can fire me for whatever reason that they deem proper. Also that he can give opinions about (ie im a crappy lawyer) and that is fine. But if he fabricates events and facts then that is subject to a defamation claim which would be my only avenue of recovery.

ideally i just never want to speak to this man again as i harbor a lot of resentment. but it looks like that might be unavoidable.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm

elendinel wrote:Record the call just in case.

Be very careful--there are a few jurisdictions in which this is not okay. e.g. California.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:12 pm

lolwat wrote:
elendinel wrote:Record the call just in case.

Be very careful--there are a few jurisdictions in which this is not okay. e.g. California.

It's bad advice regardless. OP needs to keep in mind that his conduct here can have long-term affects on his reputation. No one wants to hire someone who, when/if things go sour, will start recording you without your knowledge.

cslee5090

New

Postby cslee5090 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:14 pm

OP here, do you kind people think it would be a good idea to send a similar message as the one i sent to HR to the partner i interviewed with? or is that too much?

thanks everyone. hope you guys are having a good evening

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:09 pm

cslee5090 wrote:OP here, do you kind people think it would be a good idea to send a similar message as the one i sent to HR to the partner i interviewed with? or is that too much?

thanks everyone. hope you guys are having a good evening

You're out of a job...i'd say you have nothing to lose tbh.

cslee5090

New

Postby cslee5090 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:03 pm

I GOT A JOB! woo unemployed for a total of 3 days

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:05 pm

cslee5090 wrote:I GOT A JOB! woo unemployed for a total of 3 days

Congratulations!!!!

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm

cslee5090 wrote:I GOT A JOB! woo unemployed for a total of 3 days

Congratulations! Great work
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cslee5090

New

Postby cslee5090 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Thanks guys. Its not the greatest pay in the world, but i'm not being greedy. I can use this to lateral in the future. Best part of it all, they didnt even ask for references

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:36 pm

Awesome--congratulations!

Return to “Legal Employment�