Is split summer a taboo?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is split summer a taboo?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:23 am

Hi there. I have received several offers from both a primary market and my home market and I am considering splitting my summers between two firms. I understand that this can be viewed negatively but I am curious to know whether this is a complete taboo, especially for firms that have 100% offer rate history in the past few years. I have read previous posts on TLS and found some old posts back in 2011/2012 and I am wondering if firms' attitudes have changed. Thanks!

Bartolomeus

New

Re: Is split summer a taboo?

Postby Bartolomeus » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:02 am

Is your home market one in which (like, say, Texas) splitting is common? Though I don't know personally, I think that's essential info in deciding this. Plus, keep in mind your objectives. Are you *really* indifferent between the markets, or do you have a preference? If so, I would think being conservative is a good idea, in which case you should just pick the market where you would prefer to work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi there. I have received several offers from both a primary market and my home market and I am considering splitting my summers between two firms. I understand that this can be viewed negatively but I am curious to know whether this is a complete taboo, especially for firms that have 100% offer rate history in the past few years. I have read previous posts on TLS and found some old posts back in 2011/2012 and I am wondering if firms' attitudes have changed. Thanks!

Do their NALP pages say they are open to splitting? Many firms in the non-NYC/DC market I had offers in were simply opposed to any splits and would not allow them. And even if they do allow a split, most firms will require you to spend the first part of your summer with them, making splitting with another firm extremely difficult.

I don't know how it will be looked on the backside, but I would track down who would even be open to it as a first step.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Postby Roy McAvoy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:20 am

In somewhere like TX where it's common this would be no problem. I know several people in my class who did it this summer. Can't speak to other markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:42 pm

OP here.
Unfortunately it's not Texas, but two firms I am considering both allow splits - that's one thing that confuses me the most because it's like a "yes means no". I don't have a geography preference but I do want to see the difference between a primary market and a secondary market. I have more connections back home which I hope that I can make use of, but I am also afraid that I will lose training opportunities in the beginning of my career. Of course lateral later is an option but I think the primary/secondary market thing will still be there and I won't be able to have the same opportunity to split at that time.

Return to “Legal Employment�