DPW vs Cleary (NY)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which NY Firm?

DPW
56%
Cleary
44%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

DPW vs Cleary (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Interested in corporate (M&A/Cap Markets) work and deciding between these two firms. While I enjoyed meeting with the people at each enough that I could see myself at either, I did feel more comfortable/a better "fit" at Cleary. So, my question is: career-wise, is there any reason to believe that DPW might provide better exit options or open any doors that Cleary won't? Will the quality or amount of work be any different?

As far as exit goals: I'm not exactly sure whether I'll still want to be at a biglaw firm in five years, but I'd like to know if there's any difference in a long-term career at either of these firms, the exit options to clients' legal departments, and whether either would make a difference for lateralling to a smaller market where neither of these is present.

Anonymous User

Re: DPW vs Cleary (NY)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:19 am

OP here, anyone that voted care to explain their votes? Is DPW just the outright better career move?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:36 am

Similar situation as OP. Would love to hear reasons for voting.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:22 am

I would have voted DPW if you were dead set on cap markets, but you will likely not be around long enough for that distinction to make a difference. Go where you feel like the firm was a better fit, you'll be spending way too much time with your coworkers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:51 am

If you really like the people better at Cleary, I don't think the potential difference in exits X number of years down the line (if any) should be material enough to change your choice.

Return to “Legal Employment�