Bro-y firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bro-y firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:56 pm

Is it true some have this reputation? What exactly does that mean?

Anonymous User

Re: Bro-y firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it true some have this reputation? What exactly does that mean?

It means that some firms recruit heavily from PC Frat and encourage a "bro" culture. Lots of socials and if you're not one of the bros, good luck making partner.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Postby ghostoftraynor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:24 am

There are firms with bro-y reputations. If you don't know what the bro stereotype is, there isn't much we can do to spell it out to you. I guess shorthand would be social people into sports and beer. But, that probably describes most of the world, so not sure how else to break it down usefully.

As for firms actually being bro-y, not really. Everyone in this profession is a victim of too many vaccinations.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:59 am

What do you bench?

frasier

Bronze

Postby frasier » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:44 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:What do you bench?

I would actually appreciate that question, but then I may be a bro.

For the firm I ultimately chose, I counted it against them that not a single person I met appeared to hit the gym with any regularity.

TheBlueDevil

New

Postby TheBlueDevil » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:26 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:11 pm

So what are the alleged most bro-y firms? Humor me.

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what are the alleged most bro-y firms? Humor me.

Skadden, Kirkland, Latham, Jones Day.

Basically think of any place that is a pseudo-prestigious sweatshop and isn't named S&C

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:19 pm

I heard MoFo SF is the most bro. I mean, look at the nickname of the firm they approved...

imo bro firms to me means, for at least 3 nights a week, hitting happy hours at 6pm, pounding shots at 8pm and closing the bars down (2am), then back to work at 10am.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:30 pm

frasier wrote:

For the firm I ultimately chose, I counted it against them that not a single person I met appeared to hit the gym with any regularity.

So how much?

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:38 pm

Nebby wrote:
frasier wrote:

So how much?

Nobody cares what you lift Nebby.

You don't have abs, so it's irrelevant

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:48 pm

bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
frasier wrote:

So how much?

Weird post

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:01 am

Nebby wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
frasier wrote:

So how much?

Weird post

Not any weirder than you posting in a law firm thread. Why post itt? You've never worked for a law firm in your life

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I heard MoFo SF is the most bro. I mean, look at the nickname of the firm they approved...

imo bro firms to me means, for at least 3 nights a week, hitting happy hours at 6pm, pounding shots at 8pm and closing the bars down (2am), then back to work at 10am.

MoFo is bro-y af, at least as far as nicknames go. Not sure how much it translates beyond the nickname...
Skadden has the reputation legitimately I'd say.

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:03 am

When I was 16, I worked as a filing clerk at a federal courthouse. I remember finding MoFo's name incredibly amusing at the time.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:00 am

bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
frasier wrote:

So how much?

Weird post

Not any weirder than you posting in a law firm thread. Why post itt? You've never worked for a law firm in your life

Obsessive

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:30 am

Nebby wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
bearsfan23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
frasier wrote:

So how much?

Weird post

Obsessive

Fuck off you pyscho

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I heard MoFo SF is the most bro. I mean, look at the nickname of the firm they approved...

MoFo is bro-y af, at least as far as nicknames go. Not sure how much it translates beyond the nickname...

I generally don't think of engineers and scientists as bro-y. That is, MoFo does loads of IP work and has tons of MS/Phds running around. (Not to say they cannot be bro-y, but it seems less likely than the B-school wannabes.)
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I generally don't think of engineers and scientists as bro-y. That is, MoFo does loads of IP work and has tons of MS/Phds running around. (Not to say they cannot be bro-y, but it seems less likely than the B-school wannabes.)

A good friend of mine works in MoFo's IP group, and it sounds bro-y. From the drinking to the types of people they promote.

I also work for a large IP firm and I consider it very bro-y. Certain partners call each other by their last names and only ask other male partners out to lunch in a group.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Of the most prestigious ones, skadden and Kirkland for sure. But firms with far lower prestige are way more bro-y (DLA could basically be a frat/sorority).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:14 am

Johann wrote:Of the most prestigious ones, skadden and Kirkland for sure. But firms with far lower prestige are way more bro-y (DLA could basically be a frat/sorority).

Skadden BROS are bro-y?

Nay.

Minnietron

Silver

Postby Minnietron » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A good friend of mine works in MoFo's IP group, and it sounds bro-y. From the drinking to the types of people they promote.

I also work for a large IP firm and I consider it very bro-y. Certain partners call each other by their last names and only ask other male partners out to lunch in a group.

I think we have different views of bro-y.
1) I don't think drinking is inherently bro-y. If it were, every big firm would be bro-y.
2) I also have some insight (at least to the SF office) and I don't think it is bro-y. (Promotions inclusive.)
3) Last name calling is edging to bro-lite territory, but all-male lunches sounds like lingering patriarchy/misogyny. This is part of bro-ness, but not sufficient.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:00 pm

Is your office bro-y? If you answer yes to any of these questions, then your office is likely bro-y. Do you or one of your colleagues:

1. Have a nerf football that you toss around while on conference calls or while "shooting the shit?"
2. Disparage anyone who doesn't drink coffee?
3. Only order barbecue from "the only good 'que spot in this town" for every late meal?
4. Shit on anyone who uses an iPhone?
5. Use boxing or football (but not baseball, because baseball is a "hipster" sport) metaphors for every thing that happens in a deal or case?
6. Refuse to go to lunch without a squad of at least four?
7. Do tons of blow at the holiday party (and occasional Fridays in the office)?
8. The majority of the people in your group drive a black BMW.

Please feel free to add on.

cfcm

Silver

Postby cfcm » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 pm

Wait, what type of phone do bros prefer?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:19 pm

cfcm wrote:Wait, what type of phone do bros prefer?

It's Samsung or fuck you.

Return to “Legal Employment�