Breaking into the NYC market from a mid-west school

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Breaking into the NYC market from a mid-west school

Postby jo06c » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 am

I currently attend Chicago-Kent College of Law in Chicago. I am hoping to return to NYC after graduation but I have heard that it will be hard to break into the legal market there coming from a regional school such as Kent. I recently went through the OCI process but none of the employers hiring at my school were hiring for positions in NYC.

I am hoping to get some advice on how to initiate the process of finding a job in NYC after graduation. I graduate in 2019. When is the best time, during 2L year, to start looking for summer employment? What recommendations would you have about the best strategy to secure employment? What other paths should I consider, such as a judicial clerkship, etc.?

Thank you for your comments.

Re: Breaking into the NYC market from a mid-west school

Postby cron1834 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:58 am

Start applying yesterday. And have an answer ready explaining why you went to a regional school 800 miles from the region you wanted to be in.

Return to “Legal Employment”