Risk of no-offer after summer at Irell v. Munger

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Risk of no-offer after summer at Irell v. Munger

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:12 pm

Anyone have any information on how their no-offer rates compare? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Risk of no-offer after summer at Irell v. Munger

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:37 pm

This summer I believe everyone at Irell got an offer. From discussions during the summer it also seems like no offers are rare.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 pm

I believe Munger has had a 100% offer rate the last two summers (2017 & 16).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I believe Munger has had a 100% offer rate the last two summers (2017 & 16).

If that's true, they've changed their approach. MTO used to routinely no-offer three or four summers a year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I believe Munger has had a 100% offer rate the last two summers (2017 & 16).

If that's true, they've changed their approach. MTO used to routinely no-offer three or four summers a year.

They purposely had a smaller class this past summer (15) and don't allow summers to do the second half of their summer there any longer. So yes, I think their approach to the program has changed, although that's certainly not a guarantee of future 100% offer summers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

They purposely had a smaller class this past summer (15) and don't allow summers to do the second half of their summer there any longer. So yes, I think their approach to the program has changed, although that's certainly not a guarantee of future 100% offer summers.

Even when I was in law school it was only 1-2 summers getting no-offered per year (back when we had classes of 25-30). I know there was one summer where more than that were no-offered, but... eh, no comment there other than you never know what people are seeing on the inside.

It will never be a guaranteed 100% offer firm because of the way the firm makes hiring decisions + the nature of the firm. Bad hires cost more when your first-years are doing what would be midlevel work elsewhere; I imagine it's similar at e.g. Susman, though I haven't looked at the numbers. But I think there is increasing recognition that no offers come with a cost, too. I wouldn't be too surprised if between the smaller classes and the slightly changed attitudes, it'll shift more toward being a single-no-offer-every-two-or-three-years kind of place, which strikes me as reasonable for the size and type of the firm.

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:46 am

Must also be noted that you can afford to be less risk adverse given your credentials. I wouldn't choose between these firms based on perceived offer rates, especially if I already had a clerkship in hand. Focus on other things like fit, culture, type of work, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:47 am

My summer there were 3 no offers at MTO, several suggested non-returns ("cold" offers), and that was known as the "lost summer": not to be repeated. The approach has been changed since then and I believe the past two summers have been 100%, with a significant overall decrease in starting class size. Basically the balance of the partnership has shifted from the old school sticklers who want to retain the power to veto a summer who doesn't *sparkle* (i.e., authors a bad memo) to those who want to preserve the firm's reputation at feeder schools. There's still a vocal and prominent stickler minority to be wary of, but it becomes a smaller minority with retirement.

Wonnker

New

Postby Wonnker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:35 pm

No-offers aside, do you know what "munging" is? Are you sure you'd be comfortable working with a Munger? To each his own, but I'd steer clear of the late-night graveyard parties if I were you.

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No-offers aside, do you know what "munging" is? Are you sure you'd be comfortable working with a Munger? To each his own, but I'd steer clear of the late-night graveyard parties if I were you.

/thread

Rahviveh

Gold

Postby Rahviveh » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Irell isn't in the same league as munger anymore

bruinfan10

Silver

Postby bruinfan10 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:02 pm

Rahviveh wrote:Irell isn't in the same league as munger anymore

I'd be more interested in the no-offer rates at Hueston Hennigan vs. MTO personally, but kids in law school probably aren't aware of HH.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:30 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Rahviveh wrote:Irell isn't in the same league as munger anymore

I'd be more interested in the no-offer rates at Hueston Hennigan vs. MTO personally, but kids in law school probably aren't aware of HH.

HH doesn't have a summer program.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:07 am

Pretty surprised that, given Munger's standards for SA offers, there'd routinely be a few people who (earn?) no-offers (by failing to "sparkle"?/be a "bad hire").

cookiejar1

Silver

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:24 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:Pretty surprised that, given Munger's standards for SA offers, there'd routinely be a few people who (earn?) no-offers (by failing to "sparkle"?/be a "bad hire").

Snowflakes gonna snowflake.

AspiringAspirant

New

Postby AspiringAspirant » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:32 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Pretty surprised that, given Munger's standards for SA offers, there'd routinely be a few people who (earn?) no-offers (by failing to "sparkle"?/be a "bad hire").

I imagine they get the occasional ethically-challenged Summer that many firms would similarly no-offer.

Return to “Legal Employment�