2L Summer at Biglaw --> Public Sector Post grad

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SLNation

New

2L Summer at Biglaw --> Public Sector Post grad

Postby SLNation » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Mid T14 - Mid grades - 4 years after undergrad in Military

I received an offer from NY Big Law for my 2L summer, but my original plan was to continue to look for Public Sector options and use it is a backup. Anyone looking at Fed or others knows that it isn't a great time, plus the chances of getting a real offer for post grad don't seem great.

I'm being pretty heavily advised by many people I respect just to do biglaw for the summer so I can hopefully get an offer in the bag, and then look for public sector next year.

My fear is that once I do biglaw it will not look good to public sector. I never planned on doing biglaw, but now I feel like it's really the smart move, especially right now. I just sort of feel like I'm selling out.

For the record, I really appreciate my good luck and position...

+ I've searched a lot about this topic but just looking for any fresh thoughts, would appreciate it!

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Summer at Biglaw --> Public Sector Post grad

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I don't know anything about federal government hiring. I know more about generic public interest.

The problem is, say you get a big law offer going into 3L year, public interest jobs and the fancy fellowships probably won't hire until after your big law offer expires. So going big law summer 2018 and planning to keep looking for PI gigs fall 2018 seems like it will be difficult. Not sure if firms will be willing to extend their deadline for acceptance. Maybe easier to execute this plan if you're willing to accept offer for permanent employment and then turn down the firm after the fact. Not a career ending move, but it could burn a bridge. I wouldn't plan to use big law as a backup to a fall 2018 job search unless you're willing to do that.

The most important issue could be your ambivalence about selling out. You should know that it's possible to go from big law to the public sector. Certainly true for Fed gov. Certain federal defender units like post conviction/ habeas outfits could be persuaded to hire you. I've seen New York legal aid done too. You'll just have to work to cultivate good relationships and demonstrate continued interest. You can do this through pro bono in practice, interning 3L, and even splitting your summer now. Law firm partners can be helpful in helping you land on your feet in these kinds of places.

Opportunities do cost, but it's possible to keep a foot in both worlds.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:11 pm

I believe the NALP guidelines require law firms to keep offers to return open longer for those seeking public service positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:20 pm

SLNation wrote:Mid T14 - Mid grades - 4 years after undergrad in Military

My fear is that once I do biglaw it will not look good to public sector. I never planned on doing biglaw, but now I feel like it's really the smart move, especially right now. I just sort of feel like I'm selling out.

You did four years in the military. You have a big public sector gold star. Will that get you a job anywhere? Not really. But you've demonstrated an interest in public service, and a summer at a firm won't hurt you. Just be ready to answer a question about it if you get one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:25 pm

I worked at a biglaw firm for 6 years and I was able to land a PI job this year. People will grill you about it because they will be (understandably) concerned about the possibility that you'll cut and run for a better paying job once you get there; but as long as you can show demonstrated interest in PI/govt they'll give you a shot. You definitely shouldn't have any trouble landing a fall internship just because you summered at a biglaw firm.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:34 pm

SLNation wrote:Mid T14 - Mid grades - 4 years after undergrad in Military

I received an offer from NY Big Law for my 2L summer, but my original plan was to continue to look for Public Sector options and use it is a backup. Anyone looking at Fed or others knows that it isn't a great time, plus the chances of getting a real offer for post grad don't seem great.

I'm being pretty heavily advised by many people I respect just to do biglaw for the summer so I can hopefully get an offer in the bag, and then look for public sector next year.

For the record, I really appreciate my good luck and position...

+ I've searched a lot about this topic but just looking for any fresh thoughts, would appreciate it!

Take the biglaw 2L summer offer. So long as you did public interest/service during 1L summer, then you won't be at any disadvantage during the 3L public sector job process. I'd recommend accepting the post-2L summer biglaw offer to return as an associate, then do the 3L public service job hunt. If you land a public service gig you'd like more than biglaw, then reneg on the biglaw offer and accept the post-grad public service offer.

Return to “Legal Employment�