PW v. Debevoise- Litigation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
together41

New

PW v. Debevoise- Litigation

Postby together41 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:12 pm

I got offers at PW and Debevoise and I'm interested in doing litigation. I know that PW has better litigation but I like the people/culture better at Debevoise. Am I doing myself a disservice by going to Debevoise?

MtCamany

New

Re: PW v. Debevoise- Litigation

Postby MtCamany » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm

Absolutely not. Debevoise and PW will both give you excellent training in litigation, and you will do much better in an environment in which you feel good about the people. FWIW, I had the exact same reaction as you, and although I went in a different direction ultimately, I would have gone with Debevoise with this exact same choice.

Anonymous User

Re: PW v. Debevoise- Litigation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Culture/people are legitimate reasons when deciding between peer firms, but I would caution against weighing them too heavily. Often, particularly in firms with large offices such as PW and Deb, you will never end up working with the people who had callbacks with or who interviewed you. Especially given the fact that you wont be starting for over 2 years, the associates you met may not even be working there when you begin. I also don't think it's possible to get a real sense of a firm's "culture" from such a limited exposure. Again, from a general standpoint, these are peer firms, so you aren't doing yourself a disservice choosing either over the other, unless you have an interest in a more specific litigation sub-group that one firms may excel at over the other.

Return to “Legal Employment�